Author Topic: Representing Baseline Architecture and Target Architecture  (Read 237 times)

SJ

• EA User
    • View Profile
Hi ,
I wanted to get an advise on best practice for the following:
1. For an enterprise, are the Baseline Architecture diagrams and Target Architecture diagrams in the same package or different package ?
(I kept both in the same Package, however I note that if I change one application component in Target Architecture it also  changes corresponding  component in Baseline architecture as well). In this case it is not required, as I wanted to show the enhancement in Target Architecture.

Thanks in advance for your advise
SJ
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 06:27:30 am by SJ »

Arquesoft

• EA User
  • EA Consulting and development in Spanish
    • View Profile
    • Arquesoft website
Re: Representing Baseline Architecture and Target Architecture
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 05:51:31 am »
It is supposed you use "time aware modeling" in order to solve this topic. In the real life, it is not enough and all of us have the same request.

The only logical way to do what you need is to copy (not clone) you whole "baseline" and copy in the target architecture (creating new elements and diagrams) and then mantain each one as independent packages. You could create connectors between every baseline elements to the corresponding target archiecture element in order to be able to trace the same element in both baselines.

But, it is not easy or comfortable.

SJ

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 06:33:35 am »
Thanks for the response. How do we create connectors between diagrams in 2 different packages ? Not clear to me. thanks again

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 07:37:46 am »
You can only create links between diagram instances (that is when you drag one diagram onto another as Diagram Frame). These frames are somehow instances (though I don't know the theoretical/UML specs background of those).

q.

P.S. It's on p. 686 of UML 2.5. A diagram can as well be a diagram element which makes it UML::CommonStructure::Element which in turn can have relations.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 07:43:08 am by qwerty »

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 09:31:47 am »
You can only create links between diagram instances (that is when you drag one diagram onto another as Diagram Frame). These frames are somehow instances (though I don't know the theoretical/UML specs background of those).

q.

P.S. It's on p. 686 of UML 2.5. A diagram can as well be a diagram element which makes it UML::CommonStructure::Element which in turn can have relations.
Hi q,
What section?  In my 2.5 Beta 2 686 doesn't seem to apply and in my 2.5.1, it's a blank page.

Paolo
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 05:24:43 pm by Paolo F Cantoni »
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 04:51:33 pm »
I'm still using formal/2015-03-01. The changes in 2.5.1 didn't seem fundamental enough to reset my internal mapping of that monster document (aka. my EA menu mapping). And I'm even less keen to jump onto any beta version. For your reference it's B.2.2 UML Diagrams and Diagram Elements.

q.