Author Topic: V15 Beta: "Simple" diagram style and Custom Tables  (Read 427 times)

Giuseppe Platania

• EA User
  • As above so below
    • View Profile
    • Linkedin
V15 Beta: "Simple" diagram style and Custom Tables
« on: May 23, 2019, 04:58:59 am »
Hey Forum,
has anyone tested the new "Simple" diagram style and Custom Tables features?
they are listed here
https://sparxsystems.com/products/ea/15/index.html
but I cannot find them in build beta 15.0.1500
Giuseppe Platania
Enterprise Architect
+++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ ++++
"As above so below, to accomplish the miracles of the One Thing" - Hermes Trismegistus, first Enterprise Architect

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
Re: V15 Beta: "Simple" diagram style and Custom Tables
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 08:52:42 am »
For the custom diagram style, go to the Properties window and tick "Custom Style" in the Diagram tab. Or for a single diagram object, right-click and Appearance > Enable Custom Draw Style.

For custom tables, go to the Artifacts toolbox and "Adhoc Table" is the last entry.
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 09:35:47 am »
Hey Forum,
they are listed here
Ciao, Giuseppe!

There was some discussion on the Custom Drawing Styles in V15 Creates SIMPLISTIC Diagrams!

HTH,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

timoc

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 07:23:06 pm »
I have tried the Ad hoc-Tables. The implication in the release is it has some kind of Excel like functionality. That is not the case.

In my opinion it has potential for ad-hock data generation and visualization - especially if:
  • they can be coupled to SQL like model views to 'generate' a visualization on a table. It looks better than the current model view artifact.
  • can be cut-n-pasted to and from HTML tables
  • can be used with styling in (HTML?) reports
  • can make the UI more intuitive/usable - especially for an audience used to spreadsheets and query editors

To say the current implementation is underwhelming is an understatement.
  • Tab does not switch cell but inserts a tab into the text!? (same as specification manager)
  • You cannot implicitly expand the size of the grid (e.g. right with tab or down with enter), you have to manually add a new row or column
  • you cannot paste into it, only paste from it - did not try into what.
  • no evaluation '=1+1' is shown as =1+1,
  • you have to find the 'edit' button to do much with it, and then rightclick for every operation - there is no 'ribbon'
  • There is an implied scripting option in the menu, but not sure how to get at it or what to do with it.
  • Does not store the information in the element in XHTML table markup (or seem to use CSS for styling)

digging deeper -
The artifact has two memo tags that can be opened from the properties window - one containing the data in XML (similar to the checklist), and the other containing the 'data format', which i presume is supposed to be an EA specific style-sheet. I do not know anything about the EA codebase, or the (C++?) GUI toolkit in use to comment on why, but it seems to me that is something that would be better if split into 'editor popout' part, and an in diagram/report rendering part (XHTML rendering canvas?).

peterc

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 10:23:23 pm »
I found a different way to create the "simple" diagram - from the Add Diagram, pick Custom under Select From and then there is a SimpleDiagram in the Diagram Types. It comes with the Custom Style pre-ticked.

Giuseppe Platania

• EA User
  • As above so below
    • View Profile
    • Linkedin
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 10:45:33 pm »
For the custom diagram style, go to the Properties window and tick "Custom Style" in the Diagram tab. Or for a single diagram object, right-click and Appearance > Enable Custom Draw Style.
got it. Maybe the property name should be consistent with the "marketing name", to avoid confusion

For custom tables, go to the Artifacts toolbox and "Adhoc Table" is the last entry.
so this is the "Artifact" element in the "Common" tab available in most toolboxes.
Thank you!
Giuseppe Platania
Enterprise Architect
"As above so below, to accomplish the miracles of the One Thing" - Hermes Trismegistus, first Enterprise Architect

Giuseppe Platania

• EA User
  • As above so below
    • View Profile
    • Linkedin
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 10:53:32 pm »
I have tried the Ad hoc-Tables. The implication in the release is it has some kind of Excel like functionality. That is not the case.

In my opinion it has potential for ad-hock data generation and visualization - especially if:
  • they can be coupled to SQL like model views to 'generate' a visualization on a table. It looks better than the current model view artifact.
  • can be cut-n-pasted to and from HTML tables
  • can be used with styling in (HTML?) reports
  • can make the UI more intuitive/usable - especially for an audience used to spreadsheets and query editors

To say the current implementation is underwhelming is an understatement.
  • Tab does not switch cell but inserts a tab into the text!? (same as specification manager)
  • You cannot implicitly expand the size of the grid (e.g. right with tab or down with enter), you have to manually add a new row or column
  • you cannot paste into it, only paste from it - did not try into what.
  • no evaluation '=1+1' is shown as =1+1,
  • you have to find the 'edit' button to do much with it, and then rightclick for every operation - there is no 'ribbon'
  • There is an implied scripting option in the menu, but not sure how to get at it or what to do with it.
  • Does not store the information in the element in XHTML table markup (or seem to use CSS for styling)

digging deeper -
The artifact has two memo tags that can be opened from the properties window - one containing the data in XML (similar to the checklist), and the other containing the 'data format', which i presume is supposed to be an EA specific style-sheet. I do not know anything about the EA codebase, or the (C++?) GUI toolkit in use to comment on why, but it seems to me that is something that would be better if split into 'editor popout' part, and an in diagram/report rendering part (XHTML rendering canvas?).

agreed with the above. Potential for this functionality is great if we separate the visualization from the data source. Users are looking for a way to interact with elements and their the properties (including tagged Values) in an Excel like interface. The issue with "Custom table" is that the information is unrelated to the rest of the model, so that we loose traceability.
Giuseppe Platania
Enterprise Architect

Giuseppe Platania

• EA User
  • As above so below
    • View Profile
    • Linkedin
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 10:54:57 pm »
Hey Forum,
they are listed here
Ciao, Giuseppe!

There was some discussion on the Custom Drawing Styles in V15 Creates SIMPLISTIC Diagrams!

HTH,
Paolo

Grazie Paolo!

Greetings from Canada
Giuseppe Platania
Enterprise Architect