Author Topic: Can I use Export/Import for a single component ?  (Read 161 times)

SJ

• EA User
    • View Profile
Can I use Export/Import for a single component ?
« on: May 22, 2019, 04:26:51 am »
Can I use the Export/Import (to CSV) for a single component like a class ? for example import multiple components but not the complete diagram in Sparx ?

I am asking the question as the database of company applications including data like  application sunset date and other metadata is maintained in a different system for a number of applications. I need to  import is as a csv in Sparx.

Another question.
How is the metadata (for example Application EOL date) treated by Sparx, if it has not been defined in it.

Thanks
SJ

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Its the results that count
    • View Profile
Re: Can I use Export/Import for a single component ?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 06:42:51 am »
Can I use the Export/Import (to CSV) for a single component like a class ? for example import multiple components but not the complete diagram in Sparx ?
Yes you can import single elements into Sparx Using CSV. The CSV import/export mechanism works at a package level so if you only have one element in the CSV it will either add it or updated depending on whether it already exists and a GUID is part of the CSV.
The export will dump the whole contents of the package so you would have to delete the elements in the CSV manually.
Another question.
How is the metadata (for example Application EOL date) treated by Sparx, if it has not been defined in it.
You would need to add a tagged value either manually, via script or create an MDG that defines them. I use MDG for consistency for such things and define stereotypes.
Creating an MDG can be challenging for some.
Happy to help
:)

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Can I use Export/Import for a single component ?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 07:13:07 am »
Using CSV for a single element to actually transport it from one model to another will cut quite a number of related information Tagged Values to name one). I'd rather move the element to a dummy package, ex-/import that. That will allow a more complete synch once you repeat it since you can also transport relation. All with a grain of salt. Or probably a couple of grains.

q.