Author Topic: Unstable MS Access repository server connection  (Read 546 times)

mse

• EA User
    • View Profile
Unstable MS Access repository server connection
« on: May 30, 2019, 12:25:07 am »
I set up an MS Access server connection. I used the base files in the Resources section of Sparx Systems to get me started and performed a Transfer. I copied the MS Access .accdb file to our network drive and created an .eap file to connect to this database.

Users began working on the model, and they immediately got errors like "unknown/illegal base type 'Interface' Command: UML::Interface.

Another common error was (I translate only a portion of it from German to English):

Microsoft Access Database Engine [-2147467259]

"The requested changes to the table could not be taken, because the index, the primary key or the relation ..."

Arquesoft

• EA User
  • EA Consulting and development in Spanish
    • View Profile
    • Arquesoft website
Re: Unstable MS Access repository server connection
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 12:52:26 am »
It is supposed EAP files are indeed access databases, so if you plan to work on a access database you should use an EAP file. Why are you trying to transfer an EAP to an access database?

mse

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 01:27:50 am »
I wanted to enable multiple users to work on the model at the same time. So I created a server connection to the .accdb model which is located on our network drive. I shared the .eap file that has this connection string with users.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 02:43:58 am »
MS-Access is not really a "real" database.
If you want to setup something professional then you'll have to use a "real" database such as SQL Server, MySQL, ...

Geert

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Its the results that count
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 06:34:11 am »
I wanted to enable multiple users to work on the model at the same time. So I created a server connection to the .accdb model which is located on our network drive. I shared the .eap file that has this connection string with users.
Well you found that doesn't work.
Did you try something simple like just putting the eapx file on a shared drive and getting users to open it with Sparx EA. Should be okay if your network and shared drive are configure for upto around 8 people.
Happy to help
:)

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Its the results that count
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 06:35:01 am »
MS-Access is not really a "real" database.
If you want to setup something professional then you'll have to use a "real" database such as SQL Server, MySQL, ...

Wot E sed if you want to scale with larger teams
Happy to help
:)

mse

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 04:11:59 am »
I haven't tried the option of co-locating the two files on server path. I have the .eap locally on my desktop, so do other users. And the .accdb is on the network drive. The amount of users I expect at the same time are about 4 or 5.

I'll copy the .eapx file to the network drive as well and the results tomorrow. Otherwise, I'll try the SQL Server option, but that requires IT support requests etc.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 01:52:26 pm »
I haven't tried the option of co-locating the two files on server path. I have the .eap locally on my desktop, so do other users. And the .accdb is on the network drive. The amount of users I expect at the same time are about 4 or 5.

I'll copy the .eapx file to the network drive as well and the results tomorrow. Otherwise, I'll try the SQL Server option, but that requires IT support requests etc.
The suggestion was not to use an .accdb at all, just a .eap or .eapx file (not the shortcut file, but the actual database file used by default)

Geert

mse

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 07:23:55 pm »
Okay, I took the EABase eap file and placed it on the network drive. I did not create any server connections or anything else. I had other users open that same EABase.eap file at the same and begin making modifications.

Everything is stable, a slight delay when right-clicking and creating elements but seems tolerable. Also, if I want to see changes, I have to refresh the package with F5.