Author Topic: Showing dependency between Archimate 3 ->Application components in a Roadmap  (Read 337 times)

SJ

• EA User
    • View Profile
Can I show a dependency between 2 Application components (both are Archimate 3 Application components) using quick Link ?  If yes  is there any particular property the quick link needs to have ?

Thanks in advance
SJ

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
Dependency is not an ArchiMate relationship. You can create a UML Dependency between ArchiMate Components if you insist, but your model will cease to be an ArchiMate model.
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Further to what KP has said, ArchiMate defines three different types of dependency. Serving, Access and Influence. The catch-all is Association, which is either an unspecified relationship or one that can't be described by the relationship types available in ArchiMate.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

timoc

• EA User
    • View Profile
This would seem to be something to do with the implementation and migration concepts? such as deliverables?

SJ

• EA User
    • View Profile
I am developing a Roadmap between Baseline and Target Architectures. In the roadmaps I am showing Archimate 3 application components transition  in a timeline . Some of these components are dependent on certain other components. Can a dependency be shown using connectors with Arrows showing association or there is something better ?

This would seem to be something to do with the implementation and migration concepts? such as deliverables?

timoc

• EA User
    • View Profile
I am developing a Roadmap between Baseline and Target Architectures. In the roadmaps I am showing Archimate 3 application components transition  in a timeline . Some of these components are dependent on certain other components. Can a dependency be shown using connectors with Arrows showing association or there is something better ?

I know the Gantt chart view does not show dependencies, or have a formal association that EA interprets as a dependency when drawing a Gantt chart. I know this because i asked support, and it is now a feature request.

If you mean in a Gantt chart like way, in the road-map view, then no idea. It makes sense to me that the same dependencies in a Gantt view would also show in a roadmap timeline, but i suspect that visualizing time based dependencies (ironically) are not a Project Management feature EA supports.

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Its the results that count
    • View Profile

Depends on the relationship between the components what you use. If one accesses the other you can use access. Similarly if one is serving the other you can use serving. The complete list of valid relationships is in the Archimate V3.01 spec. look at p 126
Happy to help
:)