Author Topic: Auto Number of Requirements Unique between Root Nodes  (Read 190 times)

SBushell

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Auto Number of Requirements Unique between Root Nodes
« on: July 09, 2019, 10:35:34 pm »
Hi,
   I have setup the Auto-Naming feature to allow me to generate requirements numbers with a prefix, however I can only seem to setup one prefix for all my root nodes within a model. Is there any way to have different auto-naming 'names' for different root nodes.

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Number of Requirements Unique between Root Nodes
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 11:13:54 pm »
No, this is not supported by EA. You might do that by writing a script.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 06:41:19 am »
In general it's not a good idea to use EA for RM identification if you got a big number of requirements. Getting requirements uniquely numbered is a tough one if you rely on EA. Although DOORS is a dinosaur it's pretty good in that niche. In one project we used DOORS for that purpose (a lot of discussions were needed to get them not starting modeling with DOORS). So requirements were swapped into EA with an export/synch script on a regular basis. That worked well. We had requirements define a a MDG and used tagged values to keep the unique DOORS id. Having said this you can well just use EA if the number of requirements is small (say a few hundred). Still quite some discipline is needed.

q.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 03:29:37 pm »
Or you can reconsider the need for a unique numbering of requirements.

Are you sure you really need that? If you are looking for a unique identification you can use the GUID.

Geert

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 08:33:18 pm »
Yes, I try to persuade my users to use the GUID as identification of anything (not only requirements). But I admit with no success so far.

When I ask why a requirements number or even different number groups are needed, I always get the answers “to have identification within e.g. PDF reports” and “to provide identification to which part the requirement belongs to”.

However these statement are valid to any element, not only requirements and can e.g. be addressed by the GUID and packages or links.

The GUID is not accepted because it is not "readable". And I admit “Component_Req_0001” is more readable than {EA39C8DE-572B-43b2-80DF-BA76BF19EDFB}.
But the message “This is Requirement 1 of the Component “Component” does not say so much as well. And finally if the requirement number is even used, I only see Copy/Past either to reference it in something else or the do a search.

For the Copy/Past actions it is quiet the same if you copy/paste “Component_Req_0001” or “{EA39C8DE-572B-43b2-80DF-BA76BF19EDFB}.
But we have to have “Component_Req_0001” just because we have to have. ::) ::)
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 09:00:34 pm »
just because we have to have. ::) ::)
I was about to say exactly that. It's a relict and almost all people are VERY conservative.

q.