Author Topic: Ignoring invalid ArchiMate 2 element  (Read 4010 times)

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Ignoring invalid ArchiMate 2 element
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 05:50:41 am »
Is this happening with a pure ArchiMate 3 (or 2 model) or with a mixed model?

If it is happening with a pure, and, therefore, semantically correct model it could be a bug.

But if it is happening with a mixed model, I suggest you upgrade everything to version 3 or downgrade everything to version 2.

The ArchiMate 3 specification indicates that changes were made to the Flow relationship.

michielper

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 06:06:07 pm »
It sounds to me that you are trying to export an model with ArchiMate 3 elements to ArchiMate 2 and you could be having a backward compatibility problem.

I am not too familiar with the Generate Model Exchange extension but your original post clearly states
(context->extensions->Archimate2->Generate Model Exchange file.
and your last post states
Actually I use Archimate 3 but my models historically still contain some Archimate 2 elements

Have you consider that your Archimate 3 elements are not backward compatible? Have you considered upgrading all elements to Archimate 3 stereotypes and exporting an Archimate 3 exchange file? Alternatively, you could downgrade all elements to Archimate 2.

I would not recommend mixing Archimate 2 and 3 elements, it is likely to give you a headache.

An issue is that Sparx EA version 13 only allows exports in an Archimate 2 exchange file, not Archimate 3. So one option would be to downgrade everything to ArchiMate 2, but I don't know how. Manually, element by element, is no option.  I am sure it is possible to create a script for this but I have no idea what exactly must be done by this script. Also of course, this might break a thing or two.....

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 04:18:37 am »
Are you sure that version 13 only allows you to export ArchiMate 2? It sounds odd, as it does support ArchiMate 3, but it is not impossible with Sparx.

There are a number of other ways: export/import and tools, such as hoTools, to bulk change stereotypes. Just take some precautions like backing the model up before bulk changing it.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 09:24:48 am »
Are you sure that version 13 only allows you to export ArchiMate 2? It sounds odd, as it does support ArchiMate 3, but it is not impossible with Sparx.

The open group released the ArchiMate 3 specification before finalizing the exchange format for ArchiMate 3.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com