Author Topic: How to use Parameter Sets for Action Pins?  (Read 1409 times)

Shegit Brahm

• EA User
    • View Profile
How to use Parameter Sets for Action Pins?
« on: July 31, 2019, 01:45:06 am »
As part of the UML I did not yet found a way to achieve Parameter Sets for Action Pins with the EA (v13.5):

Can someone please guide in case it is possible or confirm EA's inability?

Thanks, Shegit

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: How to use Parameter Sets for Action Pins?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 08:10:11 am »
I don't think that's possible. Honestly it's the first time I see this diagram (the UML spec IS shorter than War and Peace, but not as much enjoyable). I guess (unless a smart Sparxian has a hidden way) you need to send a bug report (or being more friendly: a feature request). I can't talk much about versions > 13.5.

q.

Shegit Brahm

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 04:27:25 pm »
thanks for insight & the ideas.

Well, my main aim is to have a set of object flows that are in "or"-relation.

At the moment it is the easy way of "this one or this one incoming" which might be solveable with a merge. I just need to ensure "same" object types coming in.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 05:05:29 pm by Shegit Brahm »

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 09:51:45 pm »
The explanation in the specs is quite thin. The low right of the picture: what would it mean? I'd guess when sending an object from the 2nd below right you also need to send from the two neighbors - I'd **guess**. Anyhow, you can for sure add constraints to describe this behavior.

q.

Shegit Brahm

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 04:36:59 pm »

- in general, all object & control flows need to be present with their token, otherwise the action will not fire.
- and all outgoing object flows will get tokens once the action finished
- so in case I have 3 objects flowing into 3 action pins, all three need to be present.
- in case I have 2 objects flowing out of 2 action pins, two object flows will start once the action finished

As far as I understand the specs, it simply says:
- a parameter set is a grouping of one or more object flows - and I need either one to proceed.
-> for incoming it is in example: either two object flows (upper group) OR three other object flows (lower group) are satisfied to fire the action
-> for outgoing it is in example: two object flows will be satisfied as a result of this action. either upper two, or middle (3&4) or lower (4&5) , and then only these will transmit an object once the action is finished.

At first I thought there is a hidden decision.
Then I realized - CallBehaviors are also actions, thus a linked activity will have these decisions and will then provide different output.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 04:48:27 am »
Compared to other (over-) definitions, this one leafs lots of space for guessing. Definitely a candidate for improving the specs.

q.