Author Topic: Is it possible traceability matrix from code to design?  (Read 164 times)

mse

• EA User
    • View Profile
Is it possible traceability matrix from code to design?
« on: August 07, 2019, 11:49:54 pm »
Is it possible to provide some kind of traceability view in EA from code to design elements? For example, I have an Action element on an activity diagram that I would like to be linked or traced to a paticular function in the code. Is there a way to show this? For now, the only way of demonstrating traceability is by looking at the code and seeing the names match. So I have for example an activity diagram with an Action called "A1", and in the code (which is written in C) there is a function defined as: void A1(int x);

Just some background, the code is legacy code, so it wasn't generated from EA. However, a design is available in EA. Generating from EA is not an option either because we cannot overwrite the code. I supposed an alternative would be to use the Artifact element, and trace to that. However, I lose the granularity as a consequence.

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible traceability matrix from code to design?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 12:06:53 am »
In principle you could do reverse engineering to get modelling elements representing you code. This, I assume works fine for OO languages (I did already for Java). If reverse engineering of c-code would work as well, you need to find out somehow.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz