Author Topic: Flow relationship between app components not supported in Archimate3 MDG !!!  (Read 274 times)

michielper

• EA User
    • View Profile
It looks like Sparx EA 14.1 does not support an Archimate Flow relationship between application components! Of course, you can "manually force" the relationship by getting the relationship from the toolbox, but it is not in the Quick Link where it should be! The Archimate 3 standard definitely allows flows between application components!

This looks like a serious bug and hampers my work! I need to create Archimate Exchange files from my model and "forced" flow relations are missing from this file!!

Is there a solution for this problem?

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
If you mean a Flow Relationship  - please see https://pubs.opengroup.org/architecture/archimate3-doc/chap05.html#_Toc489946000, that is because I don't think it is allowed by the specification.

From memory, to represent collaboration/interactions between application components you need to use Application Collaboration and/or Application Interface (for the structural aspect), and Application Interaction (for the behavioural aspect).

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
According to this page: https://pubs.opengroup.org/architecture/archimate3-doc/apdxb.html#_Toc489946156
It seems that Flow is allowed between Application Component and Application Component.

Better report it to Sparx

Geert

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
According to this page: https://pubs.opengroup.org/architecture/archimate3-doc/apdxb.html#_Toc489946156
It seems that Flow is allowed between Application Component and Application Component.

Better report it to Sparx

Geert
If you are referring to the letter f in the  Application Component to Application Component cell in the corresponding matrix, it appears to be the case.

But the Application to Application sub-matrix implies a flexibility that I thought ArchiMate 3 lacked, according to that sub-matrix a flow should be possible for anything in the Application layer other than the Data Object.

Having said this, we are in deep ArchiMate territory which I tend to carefully avoid.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Yes, I was referring to the "f" in the matrix.

I believe in previous statements Sparxians confirmed that they didn't take into account all the relations defined in these matrixes in the appendix of the specification.
Best to report it so it can be included.

Geert

PS. I agree that the ArchiMate specification is one of the worst I've seen.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
It is available in version 15, so there's probably not much point reporting it.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

michielper

• EA User
    • View Profile
It is available in version 15, so there's probably not much point reporting it.

The omission of such an essential element in the Archimate specification is a very serious problem!! Very strange also that is was present in Sparx 13 and then forgotten in Sparx 14.
I need it now, can I at least obtain a temporary version 15?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
V14 lacks even other things like exporting a profile from a package. Quality Assurance is obviously unheard on planet Sparx.

q.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
can I at least obtain a temporary version 15?
If you have an active subscription, you can download it.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com