Author Topic: Is it possible to integrate EA and git?  (Read 444 times)

mse

• EA User
    • View Profile
Is it possible to integrate EA and git?
« on: August 30, 2019, 08:31:38 pm »
I'd like to put our model under source control, however, our source control is done in Git which does not seem to be supported by EA. What alternatives do I have? I could request SVN, but before I do that, I want to clarify if Git is possible or not.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Is it possible to integrate EA and git?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 08:59:59 pm »
Not really.

The problem is that EA's process needs exclusive locks, which aren't possible in distributed systems such as Git.

What you can do however is setup manual version control. This allows you to save all the controlled packages to files, and then you can add these files to Git.
In a scenario where you have a central database (and thus no possible edit conflicts) this might be a solution, but there is still some manual intervention needed, to generate the files and upload them into Git.

If I were you I would try and go for SVN or TFS.

Geert

PS. There is also Lemontree from LieberLieber, which works with Git. Might be worth checking out, but I believe it's rather pricey.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 11:12:39 pm »
I always ask: why do you want version control? Are you intending to develop related models? And eventually merge them? Just think twice. I haven't seen a case where a regular backup would not be the right solution.

q.

Nabil

• EA User
    • View Profile
    • View My LinkedIn Profile Here
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 02:10:47 am »
You can refer this thread https://www.sparxsystems.com/forums/smf/index.php/topic,38021.0.html for an alternate approach
Nabil

flexjoly

• EA User
  • Divaeloper
    • View Profile
    • Female Divaeloper
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 10:24:22 pm »
I always ask: why do you want version control? Are you intending to develop related models? And eventually merge them? Just think twice. I haven't seen a case where a regular backup would not be the right solution.

We like to use is as backup indeed. Until now I did not find an easy backup-feature in EA. Only save-as, which then opens the new file to work on.... so that does not work as a backup :-(
I tried to use the save-as, but it gets quite complex because the list with files becomes to large, so you loose the overview on it.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 10:30:50 pm »
We make weekly model transfer backups of our SQL Server model (in addition to the regular SQL Server backups)

This has proven to be enough to restore the model data in case of problems (such as "oops I deleted the wrong package")

Geert

flexjoly

• EA User
  • Divaeloper
    • View Profile
    • Female Divaeloper
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 05:22:47 am »
At the moment we save our AE projects inside git-repos. At I use controled-packages with batch export.

I have no time yet to make a better backup system for this, at it does the job for now. ;-)

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 05:50:30 pm »
Not really a good idea except you like to waste you disk space. Git is not meant for keeping backups.

q.

flexjoly

• EA User
  • Divaeloper
    • View Profile
    • Female Divaeloper
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 06:36:28 pm »
Hi qwerty,

Thanks for your reply.

No it is not the backups that we save indeed!  ;D
This way we have the EA files under version controle with git.
Yesterday I messed up an EA project. So I closed the project (so it would not get a conflict) and then reloaded a previous version of the .eapx file. That worked very well.

Greetz, flexjoly