Author Topic: Default Attribute Type in EA 15  (Read 1024 times)

BobLoblaw

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Default Attribute Type in EA 15
« on: November 26, 2019, 03:41:37 am »
Hello,

I would like to set the default attribute type for C to be <none>
However, it does not seem possible to change this.

https://www.sparxsystems.com/forums/smf/index.php/topic,40149
But it does not seem to have any useful information.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Default Attribute Type in EA 15
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 03:29:17 pm »
AFAIK the default attribute type is int, regardless of whether that is an actual primitive type in the set language.

You could write an add-in or EA-Matic script to change the type of the attribute on creation though.

Geert

BobLoblaw

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 07:27:55 pm »
Thanks for the reply Geert.

The default attribute type is int, but as these are not used in the project I'm working on, it's rather annoying having to edit the text box for attribute type every time a new attribute is made.

Based on the other forum post I linked, it seems as though it was possible to change the default to something else, but it does not appear to be in EA 15?

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 07:36:11 pm »
The setting is still there, but I'm afraid it only affects code generation, not modelling.

Geert

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 08:26:57 pm »
You cannot set a detail type to none, you have to choose a type. Interestingly, C is the only Source Code programming language for which you cannot change the default type. The others have the default type blank and the default type cannot be set. It would be interesting if somebody from Sparx explain why this is the case.

Could I ask why would you like the default data type to be 'none' or blank for C (a strongly typed language)?

BobLoblaw

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 10:06:37 pm »
Thanks for the responses, unfortunate it's no longer possible for C.

@Modesto
I wanted it set to none, as I would prefer to just manually type the attribute type. In previous editions of EA, it would highlight the "int" text, allowing for the text to be deleted quickly. In EA 15, it places the cursor after "int", meaning 3 backspaces are then needed to delete the text. Just slows the process really.

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 03:21:38 am »
I wanted it set to none, as I would prefer to just manually type the attribute type. In previous editions of EA, it would highlight the "int" text, allowing for the text to be deleted quickly. In EA 15, it places the cursor after "int", meaning 3 backspaces are then needed to delete the text. Just slows the process really.
That sounds like a bug, certainly a very annoying 'enhancement'

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 09:37:47 am »
That sounds like a bug, certainly a very annoying 'enhancement'
They changed the way text boxes work on opening with values in them.  Bob is quite right, productivity has gone down noticeably since they made that change.  It's quite difficult now to select areas of the text box you want.  It's a general problem...

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!