Author Topic: v15 – DBB – can’t operate on sub selection  (Read 707 times)

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
v15 – DBB – can’t operate on sub selection
« on: October 14, 2019, 02:47:04 pm »
When comparing databases with Database Builder (DBB) there may be a lot of differences - perhaps in the thousands!  As is usual with EA dialogs, the user experience is less than optimal.

I read the insightful book "Don't Make Me Think" by Steve Krug, over a decade ago.  I would have thought that the standard pattern for any dialog, where there is a list of items that can be selected would be:
  • Select one,
  • Select ALL,
  • Select None,
  • Make a multiple selection (whether by dragging or selecting with keystrokes.)
Having made your selection, you would then select the action you wanted to be taken.

This seems to have eluded the DBB interface.  You, too, can spend an hour manually selecting which option you wanted to apply to the specific subset of the differences.  You can't even call it "mind-numbing" since you had to be alert to your mouse accidentally selecting the WRONG action (I discovered you CAN'T use the keystrokes to select the actions since, on planet Sparx, selection by keystroke within the actions dropdown is inconsistent and does not follow any of the standard patterns for option selection)

Please Rectify!  {and, if possible, make this a standard pattern for dialogs going forward and the rectification of existing dialogs - as time and resources permit}
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!