Author Topic: Deploying a new version of a existing custom MDG  (Read 478 times)

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
Deploying a new version of a existing custom MDG
« on: October 29, 2019, 05:27:39 am »
I am trying to create and install a new version of an MDG we put together, the new MDG is an evolution of the previous MDG. When I create the new MDG I can give the same ID as the previous version or a new ID, as per step 5 on Create MDG Technology File.

Should I give the new version the same or a different ID? If I give it a different ID, how do I get Sparx EA to overwrite the existing MDG? The older MDG is no longer needed as the newer version contains the previous version.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Deploying a new version of a existing custom MDG
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 05:44:09 am »
del file.xml is the Windoze DOS command, I guess xD

Depends of course in the way you deploy your MDG since EA has it in dozens.

q.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 10:03:25 am »
If you don't want the two MDGs to exist concurrently I wouldn't change the id. (If you did you would need to update the technology id, the profile ids and the profile names)

Just replace the technology in whatever way you previously deployed it. Overwrite the file, re-import into the model, whatever.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 10:14:22 pm »
If you don't want the two MDGs to exist concurrently I wouldn't change the id. (If you did you would need to update the technology id, the profile ids and the profile names)

Just replace the technology in whatever way you previously deployed it. Overwrite the file, re-import into the model, whatever.
Thanks Eve, I may have missed a step somewhere because when I tested this, without changing the ID, on copy of the repository Sparx comes up with a the following warning "WARNING: Duplicate profile name: Data Architecture, detected in technology ID: 1234567"

We are using V13 in our production environment, although we will upgrade it to v14 this month.   

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 08:54:14 am »
From that warning I would say that one of your profiles hasn't been renamed as I mentioned. I'm sure if you search "Data Architecture" in your technology file you'll find which one pretty quickly.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 07:31:08 pm »
Well, quickly if you're lucky. There's the Resources inside a repository, the MDG path from the MDG settings, the MDGTech folder in EA programs and MDGs fixed in the EA.exe. I remember a mail support session where the culprit could not be found (can't recall how it was solved finally).

q.

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 05:22:25 am »
I think this due to the fact that I installed the MDG twice once as a Sparx EA MDG, accessible to all users, and again as a model MDG. I may have done the former in one machine and the later in another machine.

I havenít tested this yet.

If this makes sense, is there any guidance on how to do this when an RDMS repository is used?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 06:02:00 am »
The repository does not matter. It's a question of the search paths EA uses. I mentioned the ones I know (I wonder whether the EAP folder is also searched). Check these carefully for not containing MDGs twice.

q.

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 01:07:41 am »
Eve was right, somehow I managed to create to versions of the same MDG with the same ID but slightly different names.

I have disable one and deleted the file but still get the same warning and have run out of alternatives (other than the famous Windows trick, reboot).

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 02:05:06 am »
Sounds like the case I had. Really can't remember the solution. You could try creating an empty EAP and transferring the model (first native and if that does not help using XMI).

q.

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 05:32:59 am »
Hit the next problem. After removing the MDGs, each time I try to edit certain elements, but not all, using a stereotype in the MDG I get the following error, "DAO.Database [3159] Not a Valid Bookmark", followed by crash.

I am attributing, perhaps incorrectly, this error to the removal of the MDG because the UML profile in the MDG was originally deployed manually - i.e., by right clicking on UML Profiles under resources and manually importing it. I am not deploying the MDG to our production server until I understand this.

Any thoughts are welcomed, including on how to safely replace a manually imported UML profile by a version of the same profile but embedded in an MDG.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 08:03:33 am »
I guess the best is to contact Sparx support. Except for that a consistency check is always useful.

q.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 05:38:13 pm »
Yes, run a project integrity check, and a .eap repair.
If that doesn't help then go back to your latest backup.

Geert