Author Topic: Relationships in multiple diagrams  (Read 162 times)

Erlenmeyer

• EA User
    • View Profile
Relationships in multiple diagrams
« on: November 01, 2019, 02:05:27 am »
Hello,

Here is a very simple scenario:
Two elements appear on two different diagrams.
A relationship is shown between the elements on both diagrams, but they are not the same relationship -- they are duplicates. How can I identify the duplicate one so it can be deleted from the model?

I haven't gotten the relationship matrix to work, probably due to how I have the elements packaged separately from the diagrams -- I created packages to hold elements according to business function (a portfolio of elements) and I drag them to a diagram when needed, so they are not in the same packages as the diagrams.

I can highlight an element and use "Trace--> Relationships" which lists all of its relationships, and I can click on each one to find where it is in all the diagrams, but that doesn't really show me which are the dupes. It  would be great if the Relationships list showed the diagram names, then the dupes would be obvious.  OR, if I could add alias' to the Relationships list, then I can assign an alias to each relationship.

I would love to have a matrix of all relationships between all elements in my entire model, but the model is very large with hundreds of relationships.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 02:21:53 am by Erlenmeyer »

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Relationships in multiple diagrams
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 02:22:01 am »
Hi,
I am not sure if I understand you problem right. If you have two elements related twice with the same type of relation, just delete one of them. It does not matter which one.
If those relationships differ somehow, you might use the "Relationships" window to figure out wich is which one.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

Erlenmeyer

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 12:17:45 am »
Thank you Peter. My sample scenario was very simple to illustrate the problem. In reality, I have a very large set of models in my project and there are many relationships between elements that are included on many diagrams. I can select an element and see the list of relationships in the "Trace-->Relationships" window, but it doesn't show which diagram(s) the relationship is on. If I delete one, I won't know what other diagrams were affected.

Erlenmeyer

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 12:24:20 am »
Is there a way to show relationships in the Project Browser?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 02:03:00 am »
No. You can dock the relationships window, though. I have it right below the diagram window.

q.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 12:58:59 pm »
Don't forget, if the two connectors are identical in ALL their properties, it's relatively easy (providing you remember to replace the purgeable one with the remaining one on diagrams where both are NOT present but the purgeable one is).  ;)

If they differ in some their properties, then you have the problem of Semantic Equivalence and attempting to consolidate properties or not?  We developed a sophisticated equivalence determinator for our element consolidator process.  It's not "rocket science" but it's not trivial and may vary from context to context.

Just my little hand grenade...  ;D

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 05:46:43 pm »
I get it, it's hard to figure out on which diagrams your relation is showing.

In my EA Navigator I build an option that shows me exactly this. When I click on a relationship I can open the "In diagrams" to see all diagram that show this relation.

Geert