Author Topic: Activation of my licence on another computer  (Read 154 times)

mleontenko

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Activation of my licence on another computer
« on: November 29, 2019, 12:09:38 am »
I have enterprise architect installed on my laptop. I bought the licence in 2017. via MyCommerce (authorized Sparx reseller). What I want to do now is to deactivate my EA and activate it on another (new) computer. How can I do this? What is the procedure?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Activation of my licence on another computer
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 01:11:56 am »
Just install the license on the new installation. Tell your split personality not to use the other machine while you work on the new one.

q.

mleontenko

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 07:01:18 pm »
This is the last email I have regarding enterprise architect:

https://i.imgur.com/xQETo8z.png

I cannot access my account with userID and password from mail and I dont remember if I changed it...

From what I understand, I need to access my account on https://sparxsystems.com/

What is the reccomended course of action?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 07:03:50 pm by mleontenko »

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 07:54:41 pm »
You got an initial mail with the license number (looks like a guid). If you did not save it you need to buy another one.

IIRC you can download the (trial) EA version from the public non-registered-user area and apply the license (so you still have it). Else mail to Sparx support to get a download link referencing your invoice.

q.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 07:58:35 pm by qwerty »

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 08:02:34 pm »
You don't get a personal userID and password, gust a generic one that is valid for 1 year.
After that year you can by a renewal and you get a new userID and password for a year.

The userid and password are only needed to be able to access the downloads section of the Sparx website and is not related to the validity of your license.

It is perfectly legal to keep using your EA license without purchasing a renewal.

What you can't do anymore is download the newest version of EA from the sparx website.
I also believe the license email specifically instructs to save the install file of the software as you might not be able to download it anymore later.

So you have two options

- Install version 13.5 on your new computer using the saved installer from back when you first downloaded it.
- Purchase a renewal (that is possible within three years after buying the initial license) and download the newest version of EA (v15).

In both cases you can still legally use your current license.

Geert

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 08:04:43 pm »
IIRC you can download the (trial) EA version from the public non-registered-user area and apply the license (so you still have it).

I don't think so. I believe the trial version is a different application, and you need the download from the registered site to be able to use EA with a license.

Geert