Author Topic: Database builder - differences report  (Read 851 times)

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Database builder - differences report
« on: November 29, 2019, 08:38:49 pm »
We are now really starting to use the database builder in EA to track the changes in the database with each release.

The option to compare the database model with the actual database is really useful and helps us a lot, but I can't seem to find a way to create an offline export of the differences.
I would like to put them in excel or something so we can go over the list and validate each one of them.

The ability to copy/paste from the grid in EA to excel would already be sufficient.

I'll send in a feature request.

Geert

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: Database builder - differences report
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 10:34:01 am »
We are now really starting to use the database builder in EA to track the changes in the database with each release.

The option to compare the database model with the actual database is really useful and helps us a lot, but I can't seem to find a way to create an offline export of the differences.
I would like to put them in excel or something so we can go over the list and validate each one of them.

The ability to copy/paste from the grid in EA to excel would already be sufficient.

I'll send in a feature request.

Geert
We'd like the same. Should I also send in a feature request?

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Its the results that count
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 11:12:21 am »
Sounds like a  a good idea. Get my vote for this feature.
Happy to help
:)

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 02:26:57 pm »
++1
Orthogonality rules
Using EA14.0 (1422) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2014 R2 & Access2003/JET4.0

pvickers

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 02:46:18 am »
I completely agree this feature would be very useful and is definitely required.

I have used the Database Builder functionality a great deal.  I always create a baseline before making any database changes.  Later, a baseline comparison can be run against it to see the changes.  Having this feature directly into the Database Builder would be great!

Perry

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 02:58:18 am by pvickers »

Graham_Moir

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 03:11:46 am »
+1

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 09:42:25 am »
++1
That will throw a syntax error since you can't increment a constant ;-)

q.

Richard Freggi

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 04:37:14 pm »
I would say +++1, but I don't use database builder because (at least v 1310 professional) it did not have any compelling features.  I would be interested to know if there are any really useful features that people are using?  Thanks.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 06:16:17 pm »
I've seen it used in several different ways

- One client uses to forward engineer their databases. They have a complicated semi-automatic transformation from the logical model to the database model. They generate the DDL (for which we made some adjustments to the DDL template) and then have their own tool (outside of EA) to migrate from the old DDL to the new DDL

- Other clients use it only with reverse engineering. One of the most interesting things is to compare the database structure in the model (previous version) with the new version, to make sure all changes are actually warranted and can be attributes to an issue in the current release.

- We also use my mapping add-in to maintain the mapping between the database model and our logical data model.

Geert

pvickers

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 04:08:11 am »
Database builder has very useful features:
- reverse engineer physical databases to create a physical model.
- run automated comparisons between your data model design in Sparx EA and the physical database.
- create automated DDL to be applied against the physical database.  (If you are working directly with DBA’s, they generally will appreciate getting complete, correct scripts from you.)
- the templating features enable you to customize how the DDL is generated…both for syntax and for contents.
- ability to document, tag, create data mappings for the physical model. (I’m repeating Geert’s earlier comment here…We also used Geert’s mapping add-in.)
- Reverse engineer a physical database and then generate it for a different target DBMS.  (Yes, some additional work is required…I’ve done Oracle to PostgreSQL and Oracle to SQL Server as 2 examples.)

I was able to move a recent client completely off of SAP PowerDesigner to Sparx EA.  The database builder feature was a key factor that made this possible.
This client saved significant development time and many thousands of dollars in licensing fees.

Perry

Richard Freggi

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 12:00:22 pm »
Thanks to all - good info for me!