Author Topic: Search (and Replace) Limitations  (Read 59 times)

Miguel

• EA User
    • View Profile
Search (and Replace) Limitations
« on: August 04, 2020, 05:07:08 am »
Hi everyone.

One thing I notice about the search capability in EA (15.1) is that it has limited scope.  For example, I have text in the Properties->Notes for a diagram and when I did a global search, that text wasn't found.  If it's in a block name or a note directly on a diagram, it is found.  Lower level stuff like message properties in sequence diagrams are not found.

Any idea how to increase the search scope?

Also, there does not seem to be a search and replace option at all, which is kind of inconvenient.  Am I missing it?

I looked through past posts on this forum and found stuff from the 2000's that suggested exporting an XMI, doing the search, or doing a search & replace and then re-importing (..."export your project root package in XMI file using Roundtrip compatibility option, search & replace your function name with notepad++ for example, and finally import your corrected XMI file"...).  Is it still limited to this in 2020?

Thanks in advance for the help.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Search (and Replace) Limitations
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 07:35:28 am »
There are 2 global searches. One (Simpl) with a limited scope and another (Extended; right below) which includes more attributes. Check the 2 drop downs for different searches you might need. In any case you can define your own custom search.

q.

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Search (and Replace) Limitations
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 05:51:06 pm »
Search and replace on a shared repository is not something that I would recommend, you could end up inadvertently changing somebody else work.

Sparx EA supports 3 types of searches: Simple, Extended and Custom. The 1st two are out of the box and the 3rd supports users writing their own queries.