Author Topic: Quick Linker and Activity diagrams  (Read 5575 times)

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Linker and Activity diagrams
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 08:57:50 am »
We have been able to reproduce only one situation where an Object Flow was created instead of a Control Flow. Where either object was a Call Behavior Action with the behavior specified and strict connector syntax is enabled.

In addition, where the source was such a CallBehaviorAction the quicklinker didn't offer the option of Control Flow.

I can't give a "hard confirmation" anything else will be fixed because we haven't reproduced reproduced the error. No amount of tests will confirm we've fixed an issue we can't reproduce. Right now if a developer gave me such a promise I would probably very unprofessionally yell at them. If we can reproduce other situations where it could happen before release then I'll be able say if they will be fixed too.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 04:23:22 pm »
My understanding is that the issue reported here is corrected in 15.2, including finding the situation where the "old" event elements created the wrong connectors.

https://www.sparxsystems.com/products/ea/15.2/index.html
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Richard Freggi

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 12:16:26 am »
There are multiple problems with your definitions in a post 15.0 world. (When metamodel constraints were introduced)

First, quicklinker rules that specify exclusive to stereotype on a non-stereotyped element are discarded. This isn't related to metamodel constraints, it is just a fix because they break everything.

Second, I think that the quicklinker is won't see the rules from non stereotyped objects with non stereotyped connectors as adding anything to the base metamodel.

You are seeing the UML control flow rule to your stereotyped actions. Not sure why these aren't showing up from Receive/Send. Likely your situation didn't get the fix to treat them as actions.

I can't reproduce a Control Flow being created when an Object Flow was intended.

Hello Eve

can you expand on your statement on the "post-15 world" and share any links to documents as to how EA 15 is materially/practically different from 13?  Especially metamodel changes got my interest.

The reason is that I am evaluating upgrading to 15 from 1310, but of course having to spend 3 weeks looking for moved menus is a major drawback, and also the benefits of V15 compared to V13 are not enough for me (based on the announcement and release notes).  No sarcasm, I'm asking in all honesty because this is a topic I need to stay current on for my work, so thanks for any guidance!

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 10:58:57 am »
In 13, your profiles had no control over what was a valid relationship. They would be validated with the base types of each end and the connector. (Or not at all depending on the user settings) All you could do was define the list of relationships that you wanted to show in the quicklinker.

Now, any profile can specify valid relationships between its stereotypes. Or even the relationships to base UML elements and other profiles.

Those valid relationships are used to build a quicklinker that shows a list of appropriate relationships. Where "appropriate" includes by default that anything new being created is expected to be on that diagram (as determined by the toolbox). This does cause some change in behavior even for old style quicklink definitions. Not everyone is a fan, but it also provides means for end users to define their own specialized diagram (view) types, that the original authors of a technology didn't have to know about.

It's even possible to add valid relationships to the UML behavior (a common use of this is to allow ControlFlow between Activities, which was never legal UML but EA allowed) or to prevent some (by using a restricted perspective)
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com