Author Topic: Columns available in search  (Read 2943 times)

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
Columns available in search
« on: April 01, 2020, 11:35:48 am »

I looked to add a new column to the search pane (no pain jokes this time sorry).

But the field chooser actually doesn't offer anything much by way of additional fields.

What I was looking for is
  • parent package
  • root
  • view
I suspect this may turn into a feature request, but looking for feedback first - and anything I have missed
Orthogonality rules
Using EA15.2 (1555) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2019 & Access2003/JET4.0. WebEA on Pro Cloud Server 4.2.64

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: Columns available in search
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 01:34:37 pm »

I looked to add a new column to the search pane (no pain jokes this time sorry).

But the field chooser actually doesn't offer anything much by way of additional fields.

What I was looking for is
  • parent package
  • root
  • view
I suspect this may turn into a feature request, but looking for feedback first - and anything I have missed
I asked for metatype (in addition to type & stereotype)

From the Help file (Define a Stereotype as a Metatype) :
If you want to hide the identity of a custom element as a stereotyped UML element, you can set the _metatype special attribute in the Stereotype element that defines it. The _metatype attribute also makes custom element types appear in contexts where only Enterprise Architect's inbuilt types would normally appear; for example, in the lists of element types in the Relationship Matrix.

In this example from SysML, Block is defined as a Stereotype element that extends a UML Class.
However, a SysML user is not interested in UML Classes, only in SysML Blocks.

(my emphasis)  It's confusing for the general user - whom we have trained to think in terms of Metatype (rather than Type + Stereotype) to have to see Type & Stereotype
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!