Author Topic: Line style: Tree style - vertical behaves differently  (Read 671 times)

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
Line style: Tree style - vertical behaves differently
« on: April 03, 2020, 09:41:32 am »

In EA 15.1.1526
the Tree style-vertical line style behaves differently depending on the connector type.

I am sure this was not previously like that.
In the image the connectors between the functions are not laid out correctly.

Has anyone selse seen or reported this?
Orthogonality rules
Using EA15.2 (1555) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2019 & Access2003/JET4.0. WebEA on Pro Cloud Server 4.2.64

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Line style: Tree style - vertical behaves differently
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 10:53:40 am »
The one on the right is looking like that because the ends are reversed. There is no common target so there is no common horizontal line. Pretty sure EA has only ever handled the tree with the common element at the target.

The behavior on the left has always been there. The horizontal line distance is always the same. If you move any objects above it you will see the result on Service D.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 11:44:03 am »

Thanks Eve,
agreed the left hand example has worked like that for a long while (but I have some suggestions for another day).

OTOH I can see now that the right hand example has the direction wrong, but this seems counter-intuitive to me - i.e. the tree style seems to be implemented the wrong way around for the connector.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 11:46:28 am by skiwi »
Orthogonality rules
Using EA15.2 (1555) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2019 & Access2003/JET4.0. WebEA on Pro Cloud Server 4.2.64

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 12:33:10 pm »

Thanks, Eve,
agreed the left-hand example has worked like that for a long while (but I have some suggestions for another day).

OTOH I can see now that the right-hand example has the direction wrong, but this seems counter-intuitive to me - i.e. the tree style seems to be implemented the wrong way around for the connector.

This is probably because EA allows you to pick the direction of the aggregation and its rendering.  A LONG time ago, we standardized on ensuring that the holonym was at the supplier (destination) end - seems to have solved a lot of problems for us.  That is, we have [  ] Draw Aggregations Reversed unmarked.  Consequently, the tree is drawn from the holonym to the meronyms and thus behaves as Eve suggests it should (i.e. there is a common target).

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 01:59:11 pm »
Paolo, that option doesn't change which end EA creates the aggregation on. It only changes which is the source and target of aggregations created using the toolbox. The built-in quicklinker these days provides options for which direction you want it, so that option has no impact then.

Also, on the ArchiMate diagram I looked at the aggregations were the wrong way for a tree style relationship.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 03:15:52 pm »
Paolo, that option doesn't change which end EA creates the aggregation on. It only changes which is the source and target of aggregations created using the toolbox. The built-in QuickLinker these days provides options for which direction you want it, so that option has no impact then.

Also, on the ArchiMate diagram I looked at the aggregations were the wrong way for a tree style relationship.
I'm sure you're right, I just know that until we formalised the definition of meronymy for our methodology and enforced that on the toolset (as best we could) we had users going berserk creating "incorrect" meronymies and wondering why things didn't work properly (as one user had the option set one way and another had it set the other way).

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!