Author Topic: Find in Diagrams in diagrams  (Read 4663 times)

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
  • Flutes: 1; Clarinets: 1; Saxes: 5 and counting
    • View Profile
Find in Diagrams in diagrams
« on: April 17, 2020, 05:55:27 pm »
Hi all,

The Find in Diagrams (Ctrl-U) feature lets you locate a selected element and its instances in all diagrams. It would be useful to extend this function to include diagrams as well.

1) If you select a diagram in the browser, Ctrl-U should locate all diagram frames, diagram references, hyperlinks, navigation cells and lists which target the diagram, and also perform a Ctrl-U search of the elementS(!) which list the diagram as its composite diagram.

2) If you're in a diagram, hitting Ctrl-U should do the same.
EDIT in a diagram with nothing selected. With an element selected, it should do what it does today.

3) While we're at it, the element Ctrl-U should also locate hyperlinks targeting the element. It currently doesn't, but deleting the element still leaves you with a broken link.

Good? Yes?

/Uffe
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 06:52:03 pm by Uffe »
My theories are always correct, just apply them to the right reality.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: Find in Diagrams in diagrams
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 06:02:40 pm »
Hi all,

The Find in Diagrams (Ctrl-U) feature lets you locate a selected element and its instances in all diagrams. It would be useful to extend this function to include diagrams as well.

1) If you select a diagram in the browser, Ctrl-U should locate all diagram frames, diagram references, hyperlinks, navigation cells and lists which target the diagram, and also perform a Ctrl-U search of the elementS(!) which list the diagram as its composite diagram.

2) If you're in a diagram, hitting Ctrl-U should do the same.

3) While we're at it, the element Ctrl-U should also locate hyperlinks targeting the element. It currently doesn't, but deleting the element still leaves you with a broken link.

Good? Yes?

/Uffe
No!   Very Good!   ;)

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 06:48:39 pm »
I always wondered why there is nothing along those lines (I know the answer, hehe). If you press Ctrl-U and get half a dozen appearances you could expect (from a tool these days) that you hover over the entries and get a previev of the diagram (or a sourrounding of the occurence). Now you hit enter and a diagram opens. If you're lucky you can repeat Ctrl-U and go down to the next line (if you happen to find the right one after 7 times). Phew.

Also Ctrl-F (and it's multiple personality) and Ctrl-Shift-F look like loose ends not like something to effectively search data. Oh well.

q.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 06:57:25 pm »
You can actually doubleclick on the diagrams in the list to open these diagrams without closing the popup.

That avoids having to Ctrl-U again to inspect the next diagram.

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 08:18:49 pm »
Oh, that easy ;-) I usually use the keyboard since I'm typing things anyway. So the Enter closes the dialogue. Probably I should try ctrl-alt-shift (or what else) with enter.

q.

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 07:27:13 am »

1) yes
2) yes yes
3) yes yes yes
couldn't agree more
Orthogonality rules
Using EA15.2 (1555) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2019 & Access2003/JET4.0. WebEA on Pro Cloud Server 4.2.64