Author Topic: Cannot access my model due to missed technologies  (Read 395 times)

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
Cannot access my model due to missed technologies
« on: June 05, 2020, 02:09:05 am »
When I try to access my repository, I get the following message:
Access to the model requires following technologies which are not available:

So it seems that an “Admin” has marked some MDGs as required.
I assume that the MDGs are model MDGs so this message should not occur anyway.
I have the hope that an admin can login to fix that problem.
But:
Apart of the admin account all users use Windows Authentication.
I have the password of this one and only non-windows admin account, but how can I login as admin without the need to first login with my windows account which do not work?
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Cannot access my model due to missed technologies
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 02:47:41 am »
You'll have to go into the database directly and manually reset the required MDG's I'm afraid. (or restore last backup from before the change)

There are a few posts here that contain the actual tables to update.

Geert

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 02:57:20 am »
Hi Geert,
Thank you!
I already found the table.
Currently I intent to disable windows authentication on SQL level, to find out if at lease the admin is allowed to login even with missed mdgs.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 03:09:01 am »
Hi Geert,
Thank you!
I already found the table.
Currently I intent to disable windows authentication on SQL level, to find out if at lease the admin is allowed to login even with missed mdgs.
I haven't tested that, but I would bet the admin is also not allowed. :-X
It's a type of "locked keys inside car" situation.

Geert

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 03:30:29 am »
Yes, that was what I assumed as well!
But it worked! After disabling the windows login I could login as admin and uncheck the mdgs required.
The strange thing left is, that all mdgs are in the model, so they were there!?!?
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
  • Flutes: 1; Clarinets: 1; Saxes: 5 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 09:08:35 pm »
Hello Peter,

The required MDG Technologies functionality is unfortunately broken. I started a thread on this a couple of months back. I also dug down into how to reset the required technologies in the database, so that's in one of the posts there.

It got as far as Sparx admitting that the current behaviour is "inconsistent" but there's no mention of any fixes to this functionality in the subsequent release notes for 15.0 (which I was using when reporting the errors), 15.1 or the 15.2 currently in beta.

So I strongly recommend not using this functionality at all. It doesn't work, and has the potential of locking you out of your project.

/Uffe
My theories are always correct, just apply them to the right reality.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 09:49:57 am »
The message box gives you all the information you need to override the behavior if you need to.

For each technology id listed, create an empty technology with that id. I'd put them all in a single path so you can add technologies from that path then remove that path after you have removed the requirement from the model.

Code: [Select]
<MDG.Technology version="1.0">
    <Documentation id="#id#" name="Placeholder for #id#" version="1.0" notes="Placeholder for #id#"/>
</MDG.Technology>

The required MDG Technologies functionality is unfortunately broken. I started a thread on this a couple of months back.
At the end of that thread I was still unsure of what your problems actually were. From what I could see it was only confusion around how the different options interacted.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 05:56:42 pm »
Hi Eve,
For me it was not a feature confusion.
I had the problem, that one of our Admins has used the “Required MDG Technologies” functions for technologies which are stored within the model.
This leaded direct or maybe later to the condition that nobody could open the model (neither V13, V14, V15) because of missed but “model stored technologies”!?
With “nobody could open the model” I really mean nobody. This is because all users (accept the one and only Admin account) use Windows Authentication in our repository and those could not login. Therefore also the non-Windows account admin could not login, because EA cannot be forced to provide a login dialog if Windows Authentication is enabled before a windows login took place.

Even if the “Required MDG Technologies” feature work properly this scenario could happen.

From my perspective I recommend:
Allow to login users readonly if the required technologies are not there or,
 introducing an EA feature which allow to login (not switch), without Windows Authentication even if Windows Authentication is enabled or,
give a hint in the user manual, that if the “Required MDG Technologies” together with enabled Windows Authentication is used at least one Windows account should have admin rights
Best regards,

Peter Heintz