Author Topic: Import classes, attributes their description from flat file: mission impossible?  (Read 349 times)

Richard Freggi

• EA User
    • View Profile
As far as I know it's not possible to import classes, class description, their attributes and attribute description from csv, tab delimited or excel into EA.. including the MS office integration MDG or similar.  That's my understanding from reading the manuals... am I wrong?  Thanks!

p.s. my workaround would be to create a database with tables and attributes, include their comments and import that as DB reverse engineering, then do a package transformation. Bit it's a route I would prefer not to take.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Well, you can script that (maybe using the template importer in the EAScriptLib). But you need to think about how to put multidimensional data into a flat csv. People tend to just stick in redundant data (like repeating the class name for each attribute).

q.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
You can import classes and attributes, including description using my excel importer:
https://bellekens.com/ea-excel-import-export/

Geert

Richard Freggi

• EA User
    • View Profile
Thanks Geert!  I looked at your site before posting but somehow missed it!  Importer downloaded, thanks much!