Author Topic: Suggestion: sort out metaclasses and stereotypes  (Read 162 times)

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
  • Flutes: 1; Clarinets: 1; Saxes: 5 and counting
    • View Profile
Suggestion: sort out metaclasses and stereotypes
« on: June 22, 2020, 10:44:46 pm »
Hello,

I've been trying to create two element stereotypes in different profiles, with «trace» the only permitted connector between them. In the course of my heroic struggles I've come across a pretty massive inconsistency: metaclasses and stereotypes.

If you add a new metaclass to a profile diagram, EA pops the Extend Metaclass dialog. In this, Trace is listed as a Core Connector. So it's a metaclass.
So I should be able to specify "Trace" as the value in a «metarelationship» metaclass tag.

But no -- I have to use a «stereotyped relationship», which has a stereotype tag where I must specify "EAUML::trace". So Trace is a stereotype.

Going back to the Extend Metaclass dialog, trace is actually listed under EAUML in the Stereotypes tab.

So that's Metaclass 1, Stereotype 2. In the same dialog.

My humble suggestion: sort out once and for all which element / connector is actually a metaclass and which is a stereotype, and while you're at it, how about documenting which relationship needs to be specified with a «stereotyped relationship» and which with a «metarelationship»?

/Uffe
My theories are always correct, just apply them to the right reality.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: sort out metaclasses and stereotypes
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 10:25:37 am »
Hello,
[SNIP]

My humble suggestion: sort out once and for all which element/connector is actually a metaclass and which is a stereotype, and while you're at it, how about documenting which relationship needs to be specified with a «stereotyped relationship» and which with a «metarelationship»?

/Uffe
Wot 'e sed!
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: sort out metaclasses and stereotypes
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 09:39:27 am »
Look at the properties dialog for the type of connector you want to create. If there is a stereotype, then that's what you need to use for the profile constraints.

There may be some weirdness around trace when extending it, but there are exactly zero special cases for handling of what types are in the profile constraints.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com