Author Topic: Assembly on a component diagram  (Read 987 times)

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
Assembly on a component diagram
« on: September 09, 2020, 06:12:19 pm »
On v15.2, I have created a model using the "Starter Component Diagram". This creates 2 components A and B linked with an Assembly connector.

I have them started adding other components to the diagram, tried to link them using other Assembly connectors and found 2 or 3 problems:
  • Assembly is not an option on the quicklinker - i.e., it does not appear on the context menu that appears when using the quick linker - with or without Filter to Toolbox enabled (but appears in the toolbox)
  • Of the 5 relationships  appearing in the toolbox, I can only draw using the toolbox an Association, a Realization and an Generalization
  • A workaround such us creating an association a changing the type of an Assembly results on the following message "Inavlid Combination of source and traget types for this connector type"

Isn't an Assembly a valid connector for component diagrams? If it is not, why does one of the Component Diagram design patterns use it?

Is this a bug in v15.2?

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Assembly on a component diagram
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 06:46:05 pm »

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 07:13:20 pm »
Yes, assembly is not a valid connector between components in UML.
See also https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61332007/how-do-you-link-up-the-lollipops-using-enterprise-architect-component-diagram

Geert
So, why does one of the Component Diagram design patterns use it?

I guess it is a question for Eve.

MichaelJ

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 07:20:21 pm »
... So, why does one of the Component Diagram design patterns use it? ...
To use the "Assembly" connector, put a "Port" onto both components you wish to connect. Then drag an "Assembly" connector between the two ports.
Like you I also ran into this issue attempting to connect two "Required/Provided" interfaces on components, and the operation failed. But putting "Port" onto each component did work.

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 06:36:34 pm »
... So, why does one of the Component Diagram design patterns use it? ...
To use the "Assembly" connector, put a "Port" onto both components you wish to connect. Then drag an "Assembly" connector between the two ports.
Like you I also ran into this issue attempting to connect two "Required/Provided" interfaces on components, and the operation failed. But putting "Port" onto each component did work.
Thank you Michael, using "Ports" allows me to drag assemblies between components.

I would really like to hear from Sparx why an out-of-the-box pattern uses a relationship which is not permitted.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 06:45:22 pm »
I would really like to hear from Sparx why an out-of-the-box pattern uses a relationship which is not permitted.

I'm obviously not from Sparx, but I'm pretty sure the answer will be that back in the day, when the pattern was created, they didn't know about this restriction yet (or that it wasn't even a restriction in the UML version in use back then)
Now this is obviously wrong and should be fixed.

I think the best course of action here is to send in a bug report.

Geert

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 07:48:38 pm »

I'm obviously not from Sparx, but I'm pretty sure the answer will be that back in the day, when the pattern was created, they didn't know about this restriction yet (or that it wasn't even a restriction in the UML version in use back then)
Now this is obviously wrong and should be fixed.

I think the best course of action here is to send in a bug report.

Geert
Done!