Author Topic: Enterprise Architect as an unattended Windows Service  (Read 187 times)

arc710

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Enterprise Architect as an unattended Windows Service
« on: September 17, 2020, 05:34:50 pm »
Hello!

I have read and tried a lot of blogs and posts over the past few days but haven't been able to run Enterprise Architect through an unattended Windows Service. Is there a general solution available for this in 2020 other than creating a dedicated user and having that user always logged in? If so, please guide me.

Thanx,
Archan

OpenIT Solutions

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Enterprise Architect as an unattended Windows Service
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 09:11:27 pm »
Hi,

I posted a similar question here (https://www.sparxsystems.com/forums/smf/index.php/topic,44891.0.html) and raised a support ticket with Sparx. Feedback from them was - no.

You can use the OSLC interface to create/update model content on a server. We are doing this now. A lot to get your head around with it - but it works.

Regards,

Jon.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 09:15:17 pm »
Hi,

I posted a similar question here (https://www.sparxsystems.com/forums/smf/index.php/topic,44891.0.html) and raised a support ticket with Sparx. Feedback from them was - no.

You can use the OSLC interface to create/update model content on a server. We are doing this now. A lot to get your head around with it - but it works.

Regards,

Jon.

To be clear for those wondering, the OSLC API is part of the Pro Cloud Server, not part of the EA client.

Geert

arc710

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 09:22:38 pm »
Thanx for the reply Geert. Are you aware of any such solution to run on the standard EA client installation (not using Sparx Cloud) ?

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 09:47:47 pm »
Thanx for the reply Geert. Are you aware of any such solution to run on the standard EA client installation (not using Sparx Cloud) ?

The client is just that, a client; and it needs an interactive user session.

You might be able to simulate this, but there is no such thing as real EA as a service.
You might even be in breach of the license if you were able to set it up as a service.

Geert

arc710

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 10:16:51 pm »
Hi Geert,

Thanx for letting me know that. I have seen some blogs by LieberLieber who claim that they can run EA as an unattended Windows service. However, that did not work for me. Are you aware about this? If so do you have any other information?