Author Topic: What about Visual Studio 2019?  (Read 714 times)

Pino

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
What about Visual Studio 2019?
« on: September 12, 2020, 02:01:25 am »
I got the Unified version without noticing that Visual Studio support goes up to VS2013... who uses that any longer? What's the point?  :-X

Is there any plan to support the current version of Visual Studio?

~Pino

Aaron B

• EA Administrator
  • EA User
    • View Profile
Re: What about Visual Studio 2019?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 12:56:05 pm »
Hello Pino,

Importing Visual Studio projects is now built-in feature with Enterprise Architect and supports the current versions of Visual Studio. The MDG Integration for Visual Studio add-in (which is what I assume you were looking at) is no longer required. As you observed, the MDG Integration add-in only supported up to VS 2013.

See:
https://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/15.2/model_domains/code_import_projects.html

MichaelJ

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 06:05:11 pm »
... Importing Visual Studio projects is now built-in feature with Enterprise Architect and supports the current versions of Visual Studio. The MDG Integration for Visual Studio add-in (which is what I assume you were looking at) is no longer required...
Hi @Aaron,
On the "Compare Editions" page for Sparx EA, "Visual Studio Integration" is listed as a supported feature only for Unified and Ultimate editions. For these editions, does "integration" imply additional functionality? If Visual Studio integration is a part of all editions of EA, the product comparison page will need to be updated to reflect that ;-)

Pino

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 05:35:15 am »
... Importing Visual Studio projects is now built-in feature with Enterprise Architect and supports the current versions of Visual Studio. The MDG Integration for Visual Studio add-in (which is what I assume you were looking at) is no longer required...
Hi @Aaron,
As Michael pointed out, in the Compare Edition clearly states that VS Integration is not available below Unified. BTW, I can confirm that it doesn't work: it only retrieves the solution's tree but no .cs files at all. I end up with this tree in EA:

What am I missing here?

~Pino
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 05:40:40 am by Pino »

Aaron B

• EA Administrator
  • EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 01:29:36 pm »
@MichaelJ It's possible that our Compare Editions page needs to be updated in this regard - I'll ask about this.

@Pino In regards to the issues you're having, can you please either send an email to support@sparxsystems.com, or better yet submit a support request / bug report via the forms on our website? Provide as much detail as you can and any sample files where possible and we'll investigate it further.

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
  • Flutes: 1; Clarinets: 1; Saxes: 5 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 02:32:53 pm »
Hello,

I can confirm that the solution import absolutely Does Not Work as advertised on Studio 2019, using Ultimate 15.1.1528 (there's no mention of this functionality in the 15.2 history).

I've tested with two different solutions.

One doesn't work at all:
  • A package is created for the solution, and one for each C# project in it (similar to Pino's screenshot).
  • Nothing is created for shared projects.
  • No classes are imported.
  • No diagrams are created.
  • I am not able to select a startup project. The only option in the dropbox is <none>, whether or not any analyzer scripts checkbox is ticked.
  • If I perform a dry run, the log file simply says
        <solution path> parsed successfully
        0 files processed

The other solution has one C# project, for which a class model is generated.
It also has a WiX project, for which a package is generated but whose contents are completely ignored.

So no. It definitely doesn't work.

/Uffe
My theories are always correct, just apply them to the right reality.

Pino

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 11:24:54 pm »
I just submitted a bug report. The webform tells me that a copy of my support request has also been sent to my email address but I've received nothing, same as per a previous bug I submitted last week. And no, nothing in spam either :D

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 11:32:49 pm »
I just submitted a bug report. The webform tells me that a copy of my support request has also been sent to my email address but I've received nothing, same as per a previous bug I submitted last week. And no, nothing in spam either :D
You might want to let support@sparxsystems.com know that.

A while ago I had the same issue, and there had been on a problem on their side, which they promptly fixed.

Geert

Pino

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 11:37:00 pm »
Hi Geert,

I just did that, thanks :)

~Pino