Author Topic: Sparx Toolbox Tooltips  (Read 1220 times)

BruceTOGAF2

• EA User
    • View Profile
Sparx Toolbox Tooltips
« on: September 18, 2020, 08:03:10 pm »
I have created an MDG Technology containing Stereotypes, Diagram Types and Toolboxes. 

In a Toolbox Profile, I have extended the ToolboxItemImage Metaclass as described at the following link
https://sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/14.0/modeling_tools/icons_for_toolbox_items.html

Using the ToolboxItemImage Metaclass in a Toolbox Profile I have successfully defined a custom bitmap icon for each tool in a Toolbox Profile.
If I save this Toolbox Profile and build an MDG Technology, the custom bitmap icons are successfully displayed in the Toolbox.

This process involves creating a new Stereotype element for each Toolbox item in the Toolbox profile. Each of these Stereotype elements has an Extension connector pointing to the ToolboxItemImage Metaclass as illustrated at the above link.

If I select context menu item 'Edit with Profile Helper' (from the new Stereotype element), this displays a dialogue 'Add Toolbox Page' which offers a 'Tool Tip:' field. If I type a tooltip into the Tooltip field, then the Extension connector gets removed by Sparx and the Toolbox Profile fails to implement the custom bitmap icon.

How can I enter a tooltip for each toolbox item?

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Sparx Toolbox Tooltips
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 08:42:22 pm »
I guess that's a bug in the profile helper.

The info you type into the tooltip field probably ends up in the "initial value" field of an attribute.
You can create those manually as well, without the help of the profile helper.

Geert

BruceTOGAF2

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 09:07:53 pm »
Hi Geert,

Not sure what you mean by "ends up in the "initial value" field of an attribute."

If I close the Toolbox Profile and use the Profile Helper in the Profile that contains the relevant stereotype, then I have 3 places to go:
General
Tagged Values
Shape Script

Where can I find the appropriate attribute and fill in the "initial value" field?

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 10:23:46 pm »
Almost all things you can edit on the stereotypes using the profile helper end up as an attribute in either the metaclass, or the stereotype.

So I would expect the tooltip info to end up as an attribute as well.

But I'm not really sure you can actually set a tooltip on a toolbox item anyway.

Geert

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 05:44:47 pm »
I don't think you can have a tooltip for each icon on a toolbox but could be wrong. I cannot remember a single Sparx EA toolbox with icon tooltips.

Oddly, it seems that a tooltip for the whole toolbox can be specified, at least in version 15.2.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 05:51:02 pm »
I don't think you can have a tooltip for each icon on a toolbox but could be wrong. I cannot remember a single Sparx EA toolbox with icon tooltips.

Oddly, it seems that a tooltip for the whole toolbox can be specified, at least in version 15.2.
Modesto, it was also available in earlier versions.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 05:55:16 pm »

Paolo
I know but I still find odd you can add a tooltip to an entire toolbox and you cannot tooltips for a toolbox icon. A tooltip for each toolbox icon is clearly helpful, I cannot say the same about a tooltip for a whole toolbox. Of course, I could be missing something.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 10:05:08 pm »

Paolo

I know but I still find odd you can add a tooltip to an entire toolbox and you cannot tooltips for a toolbox icon. A tooltip for each toolbox icon is clearly helpful, I cannot say the same about a tooltip for a whole toolbox. Of course, I could be missing something.
no, it's just Sparxian EAUI...

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!