Author Topic: v15.2 - Improved Navigation Should be Improved  (Read 377 times)

ThomasL

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
v15.2 - Improved Navigation Should be Improved
« on: October 15, 2020, 02:11:17 am »
Running from a SQL environment, all the opening and closing diagrams that happens when navigating bogs me down. Opening the diagrams manually from the project browser is better than the improved navigation, but not as effective as it was before for me when I could double click and get a new tab.

Please consider these actions:
  • Add methods to open a diagram in a new tab, ex. CTRL+Left mouse, which is consistent with the common tabbed web browser shortcut.
  • Bind the mouse back button, button 5 on the side, to the same function as the backspace key by default.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: v15.2 - Improved Navigation Should be Improved
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 04:10:43 am »
Thomas,

If you don't like the "concise diagram navigation" you can turn it off here:

Start | Desktop | Visual Style | Enable Concise Diagram Navigation

Geert

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: v15.2 - Improved Navigation Should be Improved
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 09:23:45 am »
Thomas,

If you don't like the "concise diagram navigation" you can turn it off here:

Start | Desktop | Visual Style | Enable Concise Diagram Navigation

Geert
The reason Thomas (and I) have posted on the "Concise DiagramNavigation" is not that we don't like it - it's that its implementation is quite a bit less than optimal.

As Thomas says, it is (well, certainly, should be implemented as) similar to the common tabbed browser functionality.  In the famous "don't make me think" book by Steve King, it is emphasised that once our brains learn a particular model of operation, deviating from that causes problems.

That's not to say that models shouldn't evolve - take the "Ribbon" example.  My view is that it is ultimately better than the previous menu system. But the evolution should be positive not negative.  The current implementation is currently self-inconsistent - indicating that it is incorrect.

I support Thomas' requests.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!