Author Topic: v15.2 – Unselected Profiles appear in Toolbox  (Read 202 times)

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
v15.2 – Unselected Profiles appear in Toolbox
« on: January 14, 2021, 03:36:43 pm »
Similar to my post on v15.2 – Unselected Profiles appear in QuickLinker I'm now finding I'm getting stereotypes from disabled profiles when I drag from MY profile toolbox.

For example, we have a (Generic) Item - stereotype <OurProfile>::Item  (Metatype: Item (Generic).  If I drag that off OUR toolbox, I end up with an element that has TWO stereotypes:  <OurProfile>::(Generic) Item and EPProfile::Information  ::) ::)
I thought this might be because the Eriksson-Penker MDG might also have a stereotype "Item", but NO!  It only has
Code: [Select]
<Stereotype name="EPProfile::information" notes="">
What the hell is it doing POLLUTING OUR model!  I checked the repository, there are NO other instances of any EPPRofile:: stereotypes, so EA doesn't even have the excuse that someone already used elements from the Eriksson-Penker MDG!

Again, I submit that "if an MDG is disabled, then it should NOT be possible to add a stereotype from such a disabled profile".

If (as one can) a toolbox contains an element from another technology, then that technology should need to be enabled!

Reported,   (BTW anyone else seeing this)
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: v15.2 – Unselected Profiles appear in Toolbox
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 04:05:30 pm »
I've seen some weird stuff like that in the past.

That is the reason I tend to prefix all of my stereotypes to be make sure they are all unique.
So if I'm making a profile for a Logical Data Model I would have «LDM_Class», «LDM_Attribute», etc...

I also notices that the metatype sometimes can cause conflicts. I remember getting into trouble with a stereotype with metatype "Activity"

Have you tried to disable the MDG using a perpective? That seems to work better nowadays than the disable MDG dialog.

Geert

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 09:03:25 pm »
I've seen some weird stuff like that in the past.

That is the reason I tend to prefix all of my stereotypes to be make sure they are all unique.
So if I'm making a profile for a Logical Data Model I would have «LDM_Class», «LDM_Attribute», etc...

I also noticed that the metatype sometimes can cause conflicts. I remember getting into trouble with a stereotype with metatype "Activity"

Have you tried to disable the MDG using a perspective? That seems to work better nowadays than the disable MDG dialog.

Geert
We use encoded stereotypes (as I've probably indicated) for the same reason.
However, in this case, while the EPPRofile:: stereotype is an obvious defect, I thought there might be a clash because our encoded stereotype still came out as "Item" and I thought there might have been an EPProfile::Item that triggered the defect, but there isn't!  It's not a case of conflict, it's just a case of arcane and defective coding.

While it may be the case that creating a perspective may solve the problem, I've already done that to solve a previous defect and IIRC it selected ONLY the MDGs I had enabled.  So it may not help in this case, and I'm loathed to dig into it until someone from Sparx tells me I have to.

If the perspective OVERRIDES the MDG enablement/disablement, what's the point of the whole dialog?

There can be NO rationale that says if I have disabled a profile, it should generate NEW entries for that profile.  It's called Design 101.

... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 09:36:17 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not a defect. Merely suggesting possible workarounds.

Looks like there is some hardcoded stuff in the code that somehow links «information» to «item» (as in InformationItem conveyed)

My guess is that the enable/disable MDG dialog will removed at some point in the future as it no longer actually disables the MDG (it merely tries to hide it) and the same result can be achieved with perspectives.

Geert

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 09:47:12 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not a defect. Merely suggesting possible workarounds.

Looks like there is some hardcoded stuff in the code that somehow links «information» to «item» (as in InformationItem conveyed)

My guess is that the enable/disable MDG dialog will be removed at some point in the future as it no longer actually disables the MDG (it merely tries to hide it) and the same result can be achieved with perspectives.

Geert
Want some more weirdness?

So, as  I drag the Item off the toolbox, the Properties window shows <OurProfile>::Item ONLY!  It is selected at this stage. Unelect it and reselect it and it has the EPProfile::Inforation stereotype ADDED!

EAUI!!!

What you've said about future plans may well be true, but you CAN'T muck about with users in this way.  IIRC either you or qwerty or both physically remove the unwanted MDG files what you are doing is disabling the MDG "with extreme prejudice".  So, there is obviously a Use Case that says, regardless of the perspective setting, I don't want the MDG to be activated (for new items).  So even when perspectives replace MDG enablement/disablement, you need to be able to say, globally, don't provide this to any perspectives.

Anyway, enough discussion for now.  Hopefully, the Sparxians will provide some insight into what is happening (and why).

Paolo
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 04:52:33 am by Paolo F Cantoni »
-Semantica-

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 04:52:01 am »
A final bit of weirdness...  (couldn't sleep - how sad is that?)

The t_object.Object_Type of our Generic Item had been set to "Entity".  If I change it to "Class", the EPProfile::Information stereotype disappears on item creation and "Alles ist in Ordnung"!

The EP Profile says that the EPProfile::Information applies to Classes and Objects.  So if our stereotype applies to an Entity (possibly, just non-Class) the defect appears but if our stereotype applies to a Class the defect doesn't!  ::) ::)

How arcane!

Paolo
-Semantica-

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 06:17:19 am »
Can's chip in since I don't use anything above V13.5. Not sure if there ever will be a time where that will change. Hope dies at last. "Alles Scheiße, Deine Erna" to paraphrase a popular saying of unknown origin (and even Erna's name is not really known).

q.