Author Topic: re: Activity Parameters not staying-put  (Read 1997 times)

avi10000

• EA User
    • View Profile
re: Activity Parameters not staying-put
« on: March 10, 2021, 01:49:17 pm »
Hi all,

Copied this from 'Bugs' to 'Current'. This bug makes the Activity Diagram almost unusuable - bc you have to keep your diagram open all the time.

Original thread: "Activity Parameters not staying-put": https://www.sparxsystems.com/forums/smf/index.php/topic,30651.0.html

--------------------------

I have an activity that owns an activity parameter. When I draw an activity diagram and place the parameter on the diagram frame I locate it as required. I save the diagram and close it...

When I come back to the diagram the parameter has moved back to its original location. No matter how many times I save the diagram the parameter refuses so stay where I put it.

Maybe relevant: This was the easiest question I have ever written to this forum - because all I had to do was copy the question Mr/Ms Polymorph wrote above in 2016.

re Geert Bellekens' suggestion (in 2016):
Quote: "Have you tried by moving the Activity as well?
I can imagine that sometimes EA doesn't notice a small change and as a result doesn't save anything."

What do you mean exactly by "mov(e/ing) the Activity (as well)"?
How do you do that?

re PeterHeintz suggestion (in 2016):
Quote: "Just move you activity frame a bit more to the left, than it works."

What do you mean exactly by "move you activity frame a bit more to the left (/right)"?
How do you do that?

Thanks,
Avi

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
Re: re: Activity Parameters not staying-put
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 02:48:26 pm »
If you want anyone at Sparx to investigate this, please use the "Report a Bug" link at the bottom of this page. Thanks.
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

avi10000

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 08:16:31 am »
Thanks.

The bug exists since 2016 - at least. Been reported by many good people, I assume.

It is listed in the Bugs and Issues section.

Question: Is there any way of at least avoiding the error condition? Eg color the elements with pink and yellow stripes...?

Avi

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 09:05:40 am »
EA comes with all bells and whistles. Wouldn't that be a real application for some of them? *grin*

q.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 09:16:54 am »
The bug exists since 2016 - at least. Been reported by many good people, I assume.
I wouldn't be so sure about that.

It is listed in the Bugs and Issues section.
The Bugs and Issues section is not a bug report to Sparx Systems. The description of the section makes this clear.

Discuss specific usage issues with other users. To report bugs and issues to Sparx Systems, please use the Report a Bug link provided.

Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 09:25:24 am »
I forgot: Sparx employees come with all possible excuses. Pretty sure. I also have proof that lots of bugs don't get fixed. You made my day :-(

q.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 09:57:17 am »
You made my day :-(
Don't worry, your eternal optimism and positive outlook are always a highlight of my day too.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 07:15:55 pm »
Hi all,
there are several issues with activity parameters, and I am sure I already issued several bug reports.
Anyhow, this one might be even two (one UML and another SysML). What I have frequently, in SysML activity diagrams, is parameters which hop from the left diagram frame border to the top left corner of the frame.
In such cases I make the frame selectable and move it to the right to get more space between the frame and the left pane border (in UML maybe moving the activity would do the same [I don not know]). In most cases this helps, but sometimes the frame hops back after storage and because of that the parameter hops to the top left corner as well.
Another problem is with showing the parameter label mainly if classifiers but no name are set.
In this cases I saw ‘“label=classifier:classifier’ and sometimes ‘“label=”’.
To get rid of that I accustomed myself to set the parameter name to ‘“<space>“’ to get ‘”label= :classifier”’
I saw that in some later version <space> was not needed any more but in “later later” versions I had to do it again. Therefore I just use the <space> anyway.
Another issue exists with pins of call behavior actions calling activities with classified pins. In this case it can happen (depending on EA versions but even in the same version) , that the classifier is not taken over by the pin, or somehow taken over but not shown as label and sometimes it is taken over and shown as label (what I expect).
The safety standards applicable to my company talk about random failures and systematic failures. And per standard definition, software can only have systematic failures.
But referring to my experience with action pins and activity parameters and how the behavior changes from version to version I would say that software can at least have “pseudo random failures”.
Due to the fact, that such “pseudo random failures” are hard to reproduce entirely, a code review might help to get rid of those problems.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

avi10000

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 02:27:17 pm »
Hi,
>> In such cases I make the frame selectable and move it to the right to get more space between the frame and the left pane border (in UML maybe moving the activity would do the same [I don not know]). In most cases this helps,

This looks promising. How do you make the frame selectable? If this is a solution I will buy a beer for each of my team.
Thanks,
Avraham

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 08:59:43 pm »
You need to move the mouse cursor close to the frame border and click the right mouse button. If you have targeted right a context menu appears with the following items. Specialize, Collaborate, Selectable, Printable.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

avi10000

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 11:27:03 pm »
Worked!
Thanks
Avi