Author Topic: SysML IBD diagrams: How to do hierarchical diagram browsing/drilling down  (Read 4296 times)

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
Hi Avi,

To summarize your request: You have a part on a SysML IBD and you want to double-click the part to go, not to its child diagram because it doesn't have one, but to its property type's child diagram.

At the moment, there is a two-command solution: right-click > Find > Locate Property Type in Browser, and then open the type's child diagram from there.

I think it would be reasonable to put in a feature request for a single command to do the above. Whether you can persuade the powers that be to make it the double-click command or not is another question. But put in a feature request and good luck.
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

avi10000

• EA User
    • View Profile
Hi Geert,

I found how to change the diagram type for my IBD in my EA 15.1
It is: Ribbon: Layout > Diagram > Options > Change Type

I successfully changed the IBD kind/type to something more UML (eg component diagram). But I still could not see enabled the command to change the type of an element. Ideas?

Thanks
Avi

avi10000

• EA User
    • View Profile
Hi KP @ Sparx Team,

Thank you for your response.

To summarize your request: You have a part on a SysML IBD and you want to double-click the part to go, not to its child diagram because it doesn't have one, but to its property type's child diagram.

Thank you for defining the issue in informal SysML-ese. 
Yes, that's it. But when you write it like that, it makes it look like as if I am asking for is a ehancement/bell/whistle.

But I phrased it as simply the ability to drill down between IBD diagrams.

Because this is the most basic feature there is in MBSE, IMO.

I have to "sell" the MBSE vision to the engineers & managers.

The most basic big thing that engineers & managers want to see from EA is the simple ability to show how we "convert" their dumb Visio diagrams into meaningful model diagrams,

and that we can simply and directly drill down from one "box" module into a sub-diagram that defines that box. And they will say Eureeka!

(And fortunately IBDs look similar to the colored lego diagrams that engineers are used to.)

So this feature shouild be have been a given right from EA v1.0.
And this whole thread should not be happening.

Thanks
Avi

avi10000

• EA User
    • View Profile
Hi KP @ Sparx Team,

At the moment, there is a two-command solution: right-click > Find > Locate Property Type in Browser, and then open the type's child diagram from there.

And meanwhile, is it possible to write a macro to do that?

Thanks
Avi

avi10000

• EA User
    • View Profile
Maybe there is an available add-on that supplies such a macro?

Thanks
Avi

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
Hi KP @ Sparx Team,

And meanwhile, is it possible to write a macro to do that?

Thanks
Avi

You can write an add-in to handle the EA_OnContextItemDoubleClicked event
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

avi10000

• EA User
    • View Profile
Thank you for the response, KP.

Can you send me a link to some available tutorial on programming: (i) the EA user interface and (ii) the project DB object model.

Thank you in advance,
Avi

avi10000

• EA User
    • View Profile
Hi KP -- Thank you for the response. I will study it as soon as I can.

Best
Avi
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 11:44:57 am by avi10000 »

avi10000

• EA User
    • View Profile
The following needs are clear: (i) The need to use SysML. (ii) The need to use correct SysML. (iii) My cmpy is not going to move from EA so fast to a different tool that drills better.

So finding out a few months ago that I cannot naturally drill down inside IBDs has been like living for a few months in a room with the proverbial 300 pound gorilla. For some reason the gorilla has been quiet, but I have to deal with it ASAP.

Same for not being able to easily drill down into data layers.

Thanks again to KP.
Avi
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 10:43:04 pm by avi10000 »

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
To solve your problem you could drop a diagram link over your property.
I miss the "Select Composite Diagram" feature for SysML properties as well, but using a diagram link is virtually the same.

I do not belief that this is a question of corrent or incorrect SysML. I typically have several IBD under a block focusing on different aspects. So if you whant to open a diagram via a property you have to decide which one anyway.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz