Author Topic: Disable version control completely  (Read 3524 times)

Typia

• EA User
    • View Profile
Disable version control completely
« on: June 23, 2021, 10:43:41 pm »
Hi guys,
we configured a SVN version control which is now out of date and no more supported in our company.
I'd like to delete configurations in version control settings but it states that configuration is currently used in many packages and I can't find where disable it on those packages.

Is there any way to simply disable version control ?

Many thanks.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Disable version control completely
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 11:14:54 pm »
You can manually remove version control from each package via the menu option Configure | Version Control | Package VC

You can do the same thing using a script
https://github.com/GeertBellekens/Enterprise-Architect-VBScript-Library/blob/master/Projects/Project%20A/Model%20Management/Remove%20From%20TFS.vbs

Or use the nuclear option and update the database directly
https://github.com/GeertBellekens/Enterprise-Architect-VBScript-Library/blob/master/Projects/Project%20A/Model%20Management/Remove%20All%20From%20Version%20Control.vbs

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 11:42:55 pm »
Would the nuclear version be fusion or fision? xD

q.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 11:44:49 pm »
Would the nuclear version be fusion or fision? xD

q.
Don't know. All I know is that it goes BOOOUM if something goes wrong  8)

Geert

Typia

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 07:55:34 pm »
Hi,
thanks for your reply.
Problem is I have a lot of package which are configured, and I have to through each of them, often not knowing where they are in the Project Browser.

I took a look at your script and saw it was not allowed for SQL server repositories which is my case.

Can I make a request on db just to check which packaged are version controlled and disable it in EA then ? I think it's the safest way to do

You can manually remove version control from each package via the menu option Configure | Version Control | Package VC

You can do the same thing using a script
https://github.com/GeertBellekens/Enterprise-Architect-VBScript-Library/blob/master/Projects/Project%20A/Model%20Management/Remove%20From%20TFS.vbs

Or use the nuclear option and update the database directly
https://github.com/GeertBellekens/Enterprise-Architect-VBScript-Library/blob/master/Projects/Project%20A/Model%20Management/Remove%20All%20From%20Version%20Control.vbs

Geert

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 07:59:07 pm »
I took a look at your script and saw it was not allowed for SQL server repositories which is my case.

That is simply a safety measure for use so we don't accidentally execute this on our production database.
You can disable that check by removing that part of the code.

Geert

Typia

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 09:38:58 pm »

That is simply a safety measure for use so we don't accidentally execute this on our production database.

Geert

Ok, but if I'm not mistaken in your script you only set iscontrolled field to 0, but version control also modifies a few other fields (XMLPath and maybe others).
If I run your script, it will set all packages to iscontrolled = 0 and may allow me to remove completely version control on project but will leave fields filled that should not be.
Am I wrong ?

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 09:49:17 pm »

Geert

Ok, but if I'm not mistaken in your script you only set iscontrolled field to 0, but version control also modifies a few other fields (XMLPath and maybe others).
If I run your script, it will set all packages to iscontrolled = 0 and may allow me to remove completely version control on project but will leave fields filled that should not be.
Am I wrong ?
Yes, that might be correct. It's cleaner doing it through the "regular" script instead of the nuclear option, as that uses the API and should clean up those fields as well (although there is never a guarantee)

You could also modify the "regular" script to not start from the selected package, but instead work on a collection of packages returned by a query searching for controlled packages.
That combines the best of both worlds. The speed of using a query with the usage of the API to remove version control.

Geert