Author Topic: Tags based on sub-type property  (Read 3052 times)

ThomasAA

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Tags based on sub-type property
« on: July 19, 2021, 10:33:57 pm »
Hi everyone!

I have been working on an MDG and a few of the elements have sub-type properties. I was wondering how to make it so only certain tag values appear on the element depending on the sub-type property selected. I am using version 15.2 of EA.

In terms of an example, I am thinking of how an Activity in BPMN is set up. Depending on the task type (sub-property) selected different tags will appear in the properties panel of that element.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: Tags based on sub-type property
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 10:55:31 pm »
Hi everyone!

I have been working on an MDG and a few of the elements have sub-type properties. I was wondering how to make it so only certain tag values appear on the element depending on the sub-type property selected. I am using version 15.2 of EA.

In terms of an example, I am thinking of how an Activity in BPMN is set up. Depending on the task type (sub-property) selected different tags will appear in the properties panel of that element.
Hi Thomas,
I've been trying to figure out how to do that for a number of years.  I think the only way is to hard code in the background in response to the appropriate event generated by the UI.  I haven't had the time or resources to do that myself, yet.

If anyone else can show us how to do it without additional code, I, too, would be grateful.

HTH,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 11:30:52 pm »
I think it's coded indeed, but I'm not even sure it's possible to do something similar yourself using the API.

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 12:39:42 am »
Well, you can. But creating the TVs require a certain GUID. That can be done with some manual aid. But you need to be very deep in EA's guts to know that.

q.

ThomasAA

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 11:41:39 pm »
Thank you everyone for the feedback, its unfortunate to hear that there is no "easy" way to do this but that's the way it goes. Getting into the code would be a bit too advance at this time. We currently have the tags grouped on each element and will continue to go that route. Thanks again!