Author Topic: Dragging a property (attribute) from one class to another in diagrams: is it OK?  (Read 2645 times)

Richard Freggi

• EA User
    • View Profile
I'm working on extending a data model and I realized that if I drag a class attribute from a class already in the diagram or from any class in the project explorer to another class in the diagram, I'm creating a new copy of the attribute.  Which is very convenient for me so I can reuse the attribute names and datatypes.  And faster than copying/pasting in the project explorer. 

I'd like to check if this causes any risk at all for model integrity?  I don't think this is normal way to use EA but hey if it works...  Thanks for advice!

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
No, that's intentional. Dragging in the browser moves, dragging onto a diagram copies. Maybe strange, but convenient.

q.

Richard Freggi

• EA User
    • View Profile
Thanks!   *DRAG AWAY!!!*

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
But - I was just thinking of that - what happens if you drag an attribute from a class onto it's link presentation on a diagram? You can guess (keep in mind: it's EA).

Correct: it creates a copy with the same name so you have the attribute twice. Now, try to create an attribute with the same name twice in the Features dialog. Here it croaks about the duplicate name. EA strikes again.

q.