Author Topic: How do I create a checklist element with customised checklist?  (Read 3074 times)

PeteC

• EA User
    • View Profile
I want to create a checklist element in an MDG with a customised list (a bit like the Mitigation checklists of the Threat Modeling diagram).

I have generalized the EAUML::Checklist element and created a UML Tagged Value type (and exported that in my MDG), but can't figure out how to associate the two so that my custom list is the default set of checklist entries.

I'm only creating one custom element so do not need to replicate the Pattern of the Mitigation checklists (where there are multiple options to choose from), unless of course that is the only way of solving this.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: How do I create a checklist element with customised checklist?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 10:36:02 pm »
Painful, those threats. Aren't they?

Not sure what you intend to do. Could you add a screen shot of your model?

q.

PeteC

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 06:54:42 pm »
Hmm. Not sure how to post an image here. But there's not much to see:
  • EAUML::Checklist Stereotype
  • My custom stereotype, generalised from the above
  • I tried redefining the Checklist attribute and defining it as my custom Tagged Value Type (which defines my desired checklist items)

Looking at https://sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/15.2/modeling/predefinedtaggedvaluetypes.html and related pages, I can't get my head around how I define an element to have my desired custom checklist items. I've also tried analysing the Threat modelling MDG XML file - that looked like it used a hidden toolbox with Patterns (but that looked to be to allow the toolbox item to offer multiple types of checklist - I only want one so would like it to just come from a normal toolbox element). There may be some subtlety around having to define the toolbox using a pattern and within the pattern fix the checklist, but if I can avoid that it is probably better.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 07:40:29 pm »
You need to place images on an external server and use the link :-/

Will look closer later the day...

q.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 09:08:24 pm »
Just from a quick look: the checklist TVs have (IIRC) nothing in common with the checklist element. They are used to create TVs in a checklist format. 2 different pairs of shoes (German proverb).

q.

PeteC

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 10:53:47 pm »
In that case I may be looking in the wrong place and my question then is how do I replicate in an MDG how the checklists have been done in the Threat Modelling MDG?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 11:25:31 pm »
Probably. You'd need to wait for an answer from Sparx then since I'm not really using those checklists. I might dig into that, but no promises...

q.

PeteC

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 11:43:45 pm »
So, it works by saving my checklist as a pattern and using that as a toolbox item. I would be interested to know (from Sparx?) if that is the way it must be done or if there was a different and simpler way.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 09:00:45 am »
So, it works by saving my checklist as a pattern and using that as a toolbox item. I would be interested to know (from Sparx?) if that is the way it must be done or if there was a different and simpler way.
Yes, that's the only way to do it.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com