Author Topic: BPSim getting started help  (Read 2210 times)

JohnGara

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
BPSim getting started help
« on: July 31, 2021, 07:38:32 am »
Hello everyone,

Over the last six months or so my teams of Systems Engineers has created BPMN diagrams for the various processes that our department is responsible for. Now, we are looking to provide a deeper analysis by incorporating Simulations into our models. I've read the web articles and watched all relevant tutorials I could get my hands on, but still struggling on how to take the information from the tutorials and apply it to the more complex real world processes my team is responsible for.
So my question today for anyone experienced in BPSim - what resources were helpful to you to be able to take that leap in understanding from being able to recognize a solution to being able to creatively apply the concepts to solve real world problems. I've tried to find Subject Matter Experts in this matter but have been unsuccessful. Admins, if Sparx Systems provides any hands on training for this I would be very interested in that possibility.

Thank you all in advance for your time and expertise,

John G.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: BPSim getting started help
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 10:20:42 am »
Hi John,
Welcome!  We've tried some BPMN simulations, with limited success.  If you search the forum you'll find I've reported some issues with the BPMN simulation.  We haven't tried any BPSim but would be interested in your findings.

HTH,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

JohnGara

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 05:03:53 am »
So far the main issue I'm having is not being able to find the option to provide a quantity for the amount of Resources available. I can specify how many are required by an activity but no where to put how many available to calculate a Degree of Utilization.
Other issue, when choosing a Selection for a Resource Parameter, I can add by Resource, I can't figure out what type of element needs to exist in the Simulation package in order to add not by Resource but by Role and adjust their availability.
Lastly, I'm trying to create a Property such as "Number of Issues" and then have the activities I'm modeling take a variable amount of time depending on how many issues. For example, if we are running a process A and it has 12 issues, I want to be able to use a distribution based off historical data to determine how long each issue takes to solve, and then have the activity work through each issue before proceeding.
for example, each issue takes 5-15 minutes, there are 12 issues, I want the activity time to be = {#ofissues} x {time per issue}

Thanks in advance,

John Gara

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 08:23:18 am »
Hi John,

Have you checked out the EAExample repository?  IIRC there's an example there that allows you to set up various scenarios with different resourcing levels - look for Example Model.Analysis and Business Modeling.BPMN 2.0 Examples.Process Diagrams.Shipment Process of a hardware retailer.Shipment Process of a hardware retailer

HTH,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!