Author Topic: EA 16  (Read 10312 times)

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
EA 16
« on: August 26, 2021, 12:44:32 pm »
I see EA is going to be announced.
Do we have any idea of the release timeline?
I was just about to embark on our annual (and expensive) packaging of EA and I'd delay it if ...
Orthogonality rules
Using EA15.2 (1555) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2019 & Access2003/JET4.0. WebEA on Pro Cloud Server 4.2.64

Sunshine

• EA Practitioner
  • Its the results that count
    • View Profile
Re: EA 16
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 02:23:38 pm »
No idea for sure but I would guess it would be that week they announce it.
I do have recollection of an email recently about V16 in Sept but can't find it.
Strangely no beta's released this time for us to try out.
Does explain why their support has been unresponsive to priority requests. They've clearly been all doing the beta testing of v16
Happy to help
:)

Sunshine

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 07:23:41 am »
Remembered where I'd seen it now, V16.0 is being announced on 7th Sept at EA Summit.
https://www.eaglobalsummit.com/
Happy to help

Sunshine

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 01:32:41 pm »
I attended the webinar for the introduction to Sparx Enterprise Architect V16 today and looks like a lot of hard work has been going on behind the scenes. It was also mentioned that a Beta will  be available shortly. I won't spoil the announcement and say what is coming in the new version you'll just have to wait. The webinar should be being put up on YouTube and the Webinar area of the Sparx website sometime soon so watch out for it.
Happy to help

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 02:41:32 pm »
I saw the webinar too, and asked a few questions which I am hoping will be answered. Certainly a lot of advancement with 64 bit and a migration path for EAP, but the direction seems to me to be emphasizing the development platform aspects.
Orthogonality rules
Using EA15.2 (1555) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2019 & Access2003/JET4.0. WebEA on Pro Cloud Server 4.2.64

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 03:58:39 pm »
I saw the webinar too, and asked a few questions which I am hoping will be answered. Certainly a lot of advancement with 64 bit and a migration path for EAP, but the direction seems to me to be emphasizing the development platform aspects.
I agree.  But then, the whole industry is going that way...

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

wivel

• EA User
  • Driven by Models
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 07:50:36 pm »
Was up late too, to watch the announcement and I agree with you. Seems to me, that EA 16 is primarily a tech/platform/foundation update focusing on the EA platform itself to create a stable platform for future development and features.

Looking forward to try the Beta when it hits the streets next week.

Henrik

timoc

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 12:20:36 am »
My 2cents,

Moving to Sqlite for local databases is going to be a real game changer. SQLite has database diff and merge tooling out of the box, there is even some git support for it somewhere. Sharing models and settings alongside source code, branching and merging models and settings across projects for small teams. All sorts of fun. As SQLite tooling is available on pretty much every platform, copies of model databases can potentially be used as a source artifacts or configuration artifacts by downstream tools, without the need to spin up an EA instance or export any XML...

It also looks like the desktop is including more Javascript driven UI components... Will we see a true cross platform EA? An Electron based Desktop version that uses Prolaborate UI technology?

Richard Freggi

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 09:03:41 pm »
WHAT WHAT WHAT?  EA 16 will support SQLite for its repository?  If so I'm buying!!!!  TAKE MY MONEY!!

I requested SQlite a few times via email and on this forum... did not watch the announcement but can anyone confirm?  Will the repository support SQLite in-memory database so that very large models can be imported very quickly?

My 2cents,

Moving to Sqlite for local databases is going to be a real game changer. SQLite has database diff and merge tooling out of the box, there is even some git support for it somewhere. Sharing models and settings alongside source code, branching and merging models and settings across projects for small teams. All sorts of fun. As SQLite tooling is available on pretty much every platform, copies of model databases can potentially be used as a source artifacts or configuration artifacts by downstream tools, without the need to spin up an EA instance or export any XML...

It also looks like the desktop is including more Javascript driven UI components... Will we see a true cross platform EA? An Electron based Desktop version that uses Prolaborate UI technology?

wivel

• EA User
  • Driven by Models
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 07:05:44 am »
Hi

Check the EA 16 presentation video. SQLite is mentioned roughly 6:30 mins into it. https://youtu.be/XTK9B9wof0g

WHAT WHAT WHAT?  EA 16 will support SQLite for its repository?  If so I'm buying!!!!  TAKE MY MONEY!!

I requested SQlite a few times via email and on this forum... did not watch the announcement but can anyone confirm?  Will the repository support SQLite in-memory database so that very large models can be imported very quickly?

My 2cents,

Richard Freggi

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2021, 01:06:31 pm »
Great, thanks very much Wivel!

Daniel Siegl

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 07:44:47 pm »
My 2cents,

Pure DB Merge will not be helpful - similar to XMI Textbase Merge - but we work on a LemonTree with SQL Lite support as we speak - and we have tools that make those artifacts available in the pipeline aswell

Sunshine

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 08:09:14 am »
Yes indeed it looks so good. I'm really excited now the beta has been released and we can try it  out.
Happy to help

timoc

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 11:14:48 pm »
While on the subject of v16, its also worth considering the Javascript environment, now that it is the only (?) supported scripting language.

I have not checked v16 out yet, but when i was playing with the upgraded EA 15 Javascript engine (Mozilla Gecko), i found it had a working Web Assembly capability (WASM). v15 did not expose any mechanism for loading external WASM binaries, so did not explore further.

Can i suggest that v16 makes the WASM capability available for addon/scriptlet development?

Potential benefits:
* WASM as a compile target is supported by a fairly comprehensive set of languages and transpiler toolchains.
* WASM is 32/64bit, Arm/Intel, OS and OS version independent.
* WASM is a compiled artifact, so commercial addons are not easily reverse-engineerable.
* a WASM addon binary could be distributed with an MDG.
* scriptlets could use transpiled WASM support libraries. (Potentially usable in browser based views)

I think WASM support has potential, even if only released as an experimental feature.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2021, 02:26:42 am »
While on the subject of v16, its also worth considering the Javascript environment, now that it is the only (?) supported scripting language.

I haven't read that only Javascript is supported in v16. Where did you find that info?

Geert