Author Topic: EA 16  (Read 12081 times)

timoc

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: EA 16
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2021, 10:10:02 pm »
While on the subject of v16, its also worth considering the Javascript environment, now that it is the only (?) supported scripting language.

I haven't read that only Javascript is supported in v16. Where did you find that info?

Depends on how you interpret this from the v16 "whats new" product page
Expanded JavaScript Library
JavaScript is the new default scripting language in Enterprise Architect 16. As part of this change, the existing libraries for VBScript and JScript have been generally migrated into JavaScript

The new examples and libraries let you efficiently kick start your scripting. For model based add-ins, scriptlets, general script code, element behavior in simulations and suchlike, JavaScript is the best (and sometimes only) choice.

One of world's most popular coding languages, JavaScript is the best solution for writing dynamic model based code to fine tune and bring your model to life. The new library of routines and examples gives you a great start.

PeteC

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2021, 10:56:18 pm »
A sample of one Jscript script runs and it's still possible to create new VB and Jscript, so presumably the interpretation has to be that all three languages are still supported.

timoc

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2021, 12:03:28 am »
A sample of one Jscript script runs and it's still possible to create new VB and Jscript, so presumably the interpretation has to be that all three languages are still supported.
My interpretation was that from v16 onwards, javascript is the 'officially supported' scripting language for EA.
I am not surprised that VBscript, JScript and other Windows Scripting Host/COM integrated scripting are still available, but expect they will follow MSAccess eap files, and get less love as they are phased out as legacy (windows specific) technologies.

Ian Mitchell

• EA User
  • The eaDocX and Model Expert guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2021, 02:49:12 am »
General request to @Sparx, for this and future releases.
Please can you hyperlink items in the release notes to the relevant part of the user guide which describes the new feature?
No problem if not all are filled-in at the beta-stage, but it would save all of us trying to find new stuff, and maybe all failing because that bit isn't yet in the UG.
Example: "Grid-style diagrams". Can't seem to find in the current V16 beta UG by searching for "grid style diagram".
Ian Mitchell, Designer, eaDocX

www.eaDocX.com
www.theartfulmodeller.com

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2021, 07:48:28 am »
Please can you hyperlink items in the release notes to the relevant part of the user guide which describes the new feature?
Not while we are using text as the format.

15.2 did include addresses to the help though.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

timoc

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2021, 08:53:32 am »
As a quick point of interest for v16 testers who are interested in related PCS/RAS changes, there is a beta of PCS v5 available in the official download section.

Though i have not yet seen an official beta release announcement, there are PCS v5 release notes available.

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2021, 10:55:35 am »
In previous releases there has been a section in the Help listing the changes for the release, subdivided into several categories that are themselves divided into changes that caused updates to the Help, and changes that did not affect the Help. Where a change affected the Help, I provided a link to the topic or topics that described the change.  See this:

https://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/15.2/product_information/relnot_top.html

There should actually be a link to the topic for the 1559 build as well - not sure why that update isn't there. Anyway, for Release 16.0, because of the documentation effort to describe the huge number of changes and features we have implemented, I have not managed to get to the 16.0 Release Notes topic yet. That will come in due course.
Best Regards, Roy

Typia

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2021, 03:02:22 am »
I tested an upgrade on a machine coming from 15.2

I think it will be a real pain especially if you want to install 64bits version (which I guess would be the normal choice).

None of the EA 15.2 are kept (not even the same registry paths), and the versions are installed along.

I hope it will be fixed for final release