Author Topic: Project Integrity check should contain links to the elements in error  (Read 4768 times)

wivel

• EA User
  • Driven by Models
    • View Profile
When running a Project Integrity Check, the results listed in the report, does not provide any help if you want to manually investigate the issues and fix them yourself.

It would be really helpful if it was possible to right-click on an issue and then locate the iffy elements in either the project browser or diagrams. I know it is not possible to do with all issue types.

I have recently taken over a large EA repository where the integrity check spits out a long list of errors, but I do not dare run the Recover/Clean option, since I do not in which state th emodel will be afterwards.

Henrik Wivel

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Project Integrity check should contain links to the elements in error
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 03:23:32 am »
Henrik, you shouldn't be afraid.

Make a backup if you must, and then simply run the project integrity check.
I've never known it to make a model worse.

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 07:07:58 am »
Yes, you should not be afraid of the bogus "be careful" message from EA. And you are right that EA should give details about the bugs. But that won't happen. EA is cheap and there are quite some places where you just see that. I have seen much more expensive tools being even worse in many aspects. Doesn't remedy the many design bugs which could easily be fixed instead of adding more gimmicks as Sparx policy is, unfortunately.

q.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 10:13:38 am »
Henrik,

Just to echo what Geert & qwerty have said, but to add that it turns out that you as a user can't do very much about the errors.  They have to be repaired by EA.  Like qwerty, I'm annoyed that the item involved isn't documented, but that's only for informational purposes.

Finally, when the repository is in a non-integral state, "All bets are off".  NOTHING is guaranteed to work correctly until the repository is repaired.

Once you've done your first repair, get into the habit of running the project integrity check often.  Personally, I may do it a few times a day.

HTH,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 02:37:22 pm »
Finally, when the repository is in a non-integral state, "All bets are off".  NOTHING is guaranteed to work correctly until the repository is repaired.
That includes any attempt to document or provide navigation to the problem elements.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 04:09:17 pm »
That includes any attempt to document or provide navigation to the problem elements.
Learn something new every day!
Thanks, Eve, for clarifying that!

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

wivel

• EA User
  • Driven by Models
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 09:25:26 pm »
Thanks, guys, for your feedback. Really helpful.

We are upgrading the database to schema version 1558 this Thursday anyway, so I will add an Integrity check after backup and before applying the upgrade.

Henrik

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 03:43:34 am »
Honestly, I would do the check before the backup. Backing up a not sane DB will have you to run the check after a restore - and that will easily be forgotten.

Like Paolo I do that regularly (and think that EA should handle it a bit like *NIX fsck). I think that once a week is enough, though. But it depends on usage, number of users and configuration.

q.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 08:14:33 pm by qwerty »

wivel

• EA User
  • Driven by Models
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 07:07:16 pm »
Honestly, I would do the check before the backup. Backing up a not sane DB will have you to run the check after a restore - and that will easily be forgotting.

Good point. Thanks.

Henrik