Author Topic: EA compatible with Oracle 19 as server-based Repository?  (Read 1196 times)

Luis J. Lobo

• EA User
  • IT Consultant
    • View Profile
EA compatible with Oracle 19 as server-based Repository?
« on: September 23, 2021, 07:45:12 pm »
Hi all!

Do you know if EA is compatible with Oracle 19 DBMS as server-based repository?

The documentation only includes:

To create a project in a repository on Oracle 9i, 10g, 11g or 12c, you work through these stages: - https://sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/15.2/model_repositories/upsizingtooracle.html

...but the System Requirements says:

Oracle from 9i (all editions) - https://sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/15.2/model_repositories/settingupdatabasemodelfile.html

Thanks in advance!

Luis

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: EA compatible with Oracle 19 as server-based Repository?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 07:52:08 pm »
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Don't use Oracle for EA. It works terribly slow.
Technically it is supported by Sparx, but I've never met a happy EA user on an Oracle backend.

Geert

Luis J. Lobo

• EA User
  • IT Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 07:55:48 pm »
Hi, Geert!

I know, but this customer has Oracle as a corporate standard... and they're using Oracle 12 as EA repository for years.

They want to upgrade Oracle, and I don't know if that version is supported or not.

Thanks anyway!  :)

Luis

Sunshine

• EA Practitioner
  • Its the results that count
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 07:41:26 am »
I concur with Geert and advise to not use Oracle.  I've used Oracle in a number of organizations and even with so called Guru Oracle DB Admins could never get it to perform as well as SQL Server or MySQL

The organization I presently work for now has Oracle as "The standard" but I made a case for SQL Server for Sparx EA repository. Had some facts and figures on performances tests from previous employment after weeks of investigations with Oracle.

But I guess you are not wanting to go down that road so with regards to Oracle 19 compatibility and no documented evidence to say it supports I'd be tempted to down load Oracle 19 Express, install it on my machine and try it out.
If it don't work then you have a case to move to SQL Server  :)
Happy to help
:)