Author Topic: Delete message on one sequence diagram - deletes from all?  (Read 1230 times)

Dave Bullet

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Delete message on one sequence diagram - deletes from all?
« on: September 24, 2021, 09:22:56 am »
Can someone please tell me when the above changed? I'm using v15.1

I'm sure I could remove a message between lifelines A and B on one diagram and not auto-remove the same message.

Now if I am on diagram #1  and delete message X between lifelines A and B - the same message disappears on another diagram between the same lifelines

My connector default behaviour on delete is "hide".

How do I hide / remove an "auto-draw" message on one sequence diagram, without removing it from the others?

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Delete message on one sequence diagram - deletes from all?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 02:41:23 pm »
Sequence diagrams are different to other diagrams in UML. 
You are never supposed to reuse the same lifelines on different diagrams (and never use classes either)

Each message is owned by a single diagram and should not be re-used.

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Delete message on one sequence diagram - deletes from all?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 05:11:51 pm »
c/should/must/

A message is "some sort of object" like an instance. So if you use that instance at multiple place it will die in all places once you kill it there. Stll, EA allows to use classes as lifelines. The only thing they managed is to place a comment somewhere in the help that you must not do that since it will clobber XML ex.-/import (for good reason). Instead, why they do not forbid the use here? Just keep in mind that an SD represents a single scenario and it's unique in that way. There is no re-use here!

q.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 05:17:41 pm by qwerty »