Author Topic: v15.2 Ė Canít create associationrole metaclass in profile  (Read 2752 times)

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
v15.2 Ė Canít create associationrole metaclass in profile
« on: October 15, 2021, 12:15:59 pm »
For a very specific purpose, we are using the target stereotype on a specific form of connector.  We managed to create local stereotypes which we can use and they ended up being set (by EA) to the associationrole (as the base class in the dialog).  Having got it working with local stereotypes, we went to move the stereotypes to our profile.  Once we've moved them, we could fix the t_xref stereotypes entry to point to the profile instead of the local (and then delete the local stereotypes).

However, there doesn't seem to be any mechanism to create an associationrole metaclass from which to define the stereotype.  How can we create an associationrole stereotype in the profile?

Reported,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: v15.2 Ė Canít create associationrole metaclass in profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 09:44:37 pm »
Good question. According to the documentation I would guess you can't.

q.

P.S. I tried using AssociationEnd in my profile but it's not recognized.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 09:54:52 pm by qwerty »

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 12:27:55 am »
I'm pretty sure I've seen this working in an profile once.
Not one of mine though.

I think technically it should extend Property, but I'm not sure if EA thinks like that as well.

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 01:54:46 am »
No, that does not work.

q.

P.S. Uh, wait. Another bug. I created Property from the wizard (I hate those wizards) and it placed a Part. So I tested with Part. Well, well, ...

P.P.S. And yes: that works! Could we have some official documentation for that? (And maybe a fix for that Part thingy?)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 02:00:59 am by qwerty »

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 04:56:35 pm »
No, that does not work.

q.

P.S. Uh, wait. Another bug. I created Property from the wizard (I hate those wizards) and it placed a Part. So I tested with Part. Well, well, ...

P.P.S. And yes: that works! Could we have some official documentation for that? (And maybe a fix for that Part thingy?)
Thanks, guys,
for the input.  So, is the upshot that I create a metaclass using the wizard, "Property" and then use the created "Part" metaclass to define the AssociationRole stereotype?

Glad I asked... ;)

Paolo
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 09:16:52 pm »
Not really. When you ask the wizard to create the Property it will produce a Part (One of those EA bugs, you know). Then you have to manually rename the mataclass to property. Alternatively you skip the wizard and createa a metaclass manually and name it Property.

I think it's weird that the AssociationEnd is of metatype Property. But InstanceSpecifications are Objects too - in EA.

q.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 12:07:43 am »
Not really. When you ask the wizard to create the Property it will produce a Part (One of those EA bugs, you know). Then you have to manually rename the metaclass to property. Alternatively, you skip the wizard and create a metaclass manually and name it Property.

I think it's weird that the AssociationEnd is of metatype Property. But InstanceSpecifications are Objects too - in EA.

q.
Yes, I was surprised that the stereotype's base class was an Association Role, particularly as I was adding it to a Dependency!

Paolo
-Semantica-