Author Topic: Problem Switching Toolbox Perspectives  (Read 2844 times)

Thelonius

• EA User
  • I think. Therefore I get paid.
    • View Profile
Problem Switching Toolbox Perspectives
« on: October 15, 2021, 03:01:31 pm »
I'm totally stumped as to how Sparx manages changing MDG perspectives for the Toolbox. I want to change the Toolbox perspective for a diagram to 'Database Engineering'.

In 'Specialize > Technologies > Manage-Tech' when I check the Database Engineering box, the term 'Database Engineering' gets a asterisk added - but this does not set the Toolbox to that MDG.

There is no explanation provided as to what the asterisk means. 'Set Active' has no effect. The Toobox does not change perspective.

What am I doing wrong? Has anyone else experienced this?

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Problem Switching Toolbox Perspectives
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 03:14:08 pm »
You want to leave this alone (leave everything checked) and play with the perspectives in Start | Desktop | Perpectives

The Set Active setting is to allow overrides of an existing technology (or default UML) by another technology. That is only useful for your own MDG's where you actually define an override.

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 08:47:18 pm »
What I do for my machine is to clean the InternalTechnologies from all that rubbish I never need (basically leaving ea_ext* and system*). Not possible for my customer's machines though, since one needs admin privileges.

q.

Thelonius

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 10:15:51 am »
Geert

Thanks - that helped. The Toolbox I want active is the 'Data Modeling' MDG. See image below. Using your method seems to get it to appear for the diagram I'm working on.

However, I can't see in which MDG this toolbox is defined. It does not seem to be in 'Database Engineering'. I think it must be a native Sparx MDG. But I should be able to see it displayed so that I can select it.

How could I find this out? I just want to select that one toolbox and have only it displayed as my Toolbox on this diagram.

Selecting any other MDG seems to make this 'Data Modeling' MDG disappear.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 03:14:46 pm »
Hi Thelonius,

If you drag, say the table, onto a diagram, you'll see that its fully qualified stereotype is EAUML::table - so it IS a native EA MDG, probably Core Extensions.

HTH,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Thelonius

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 09:26:39 am »
Paolo
You are correct, of course. The image below is what I see when I do that. The MDG 'Profile' is 'EAUML' and the 'Perspective' is 'Database Engineering' (not 'Core Extensions'?).
Dumb Question I Can't Find The Answer To In Sparx Documentation: Are 'Perspective' and the MDG Profile completely different things? Or is 'Perspective' a view of what's in the MDG Profile?
Thanks for your knowledge.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 09:33:04 am »
EAUML is a profile name. An MDG may contain an arbitrary number of profiles of also arbitrary names.

q.

philchudley

• EA User
  • UML/EA Principal Consultant / Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 07:03:56 pm »
I believe the toolbox you are after is defined in

Core Extensions -> Data Modelling

Clicking the "hamburger icon" in a diagram toolbox and selecting  Data Modelling worked for me, assuming of course that Core Extensions -> Data Modelling is in your active perspective.

All the best

Phil
follow me on Twitter

@SparxEAGuru