Author Topic: Default selection for Link to Element Feature dialog is "none"  (Read 4003 times)

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Default selection for Link to Element Feature dialog is "none"
« on: October 21, 2021, 11:03:26 pm »
Can someone please explain to me the reasoning behind the choice "none" as the default selection for the Link to Element Feature dialog?

One would assume that the default option should be the one that is most often used. I personally think the option "attribute" is used in more than 99% of the cases, but yet "none" has been choses as the default value.
I'm pretty sure the actual usage of "none" is 0%. Nobody chooses the option "Link to Element Feature" in order to not link it to an element feature.

This type of thing is very hard to explain when giving a demo or explaining a this feature. I usually resort to something like "yeah, weird choice, you know Aussies and all"

Geert

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: Default selection for Link to Element Feature dialog is "none"
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 11:10:54 pm »
Can someone please explain to me the reasoning behind the choice "none" as the default selection for the Link to Element Feature dialog?

One would assume that the default option should be the one that is most often used. I personally think the option "attribute" is used in more than 99% of the cases, but yet "none" has been chosen as the default value.
I'm pretty sure the actual usage of "none" is 0%. Nobody chooses the option "Link to Element Feature" in order to not link it to an element feature.

This type of thing is very hard to explain when giving a demo or explaining this feature. I usually resort to something like "yeah, weird choice, you know Aussies and all"

Geert
"Hush yo' mouth, sah!"  Your comment is an affront to those of us who live in 'straya!  Since the Sparxians live on planet Sparx, you can "dis" them all you want.

As you'd guess, I can't explain it, other than to observe that the meaning of the term "default" is more usually used "in the breach, than in the observance".

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 05:24:50 am »
My 99% are the element notes. So they propably decided fot the "dunno".

q.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 08:07:52 am »
At a guess, the dialog is showing the current selection like any other property.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 09:14:12 am »
At a guess, the dialog is showing the current selection like any other property.
<sound>LOUD Klaxon...</sound>

Then it's not a default!   There are two components to the dialog, the type and the value.  When there is NO link, the type should default to "Attribute" and the selection show <none>.  When a link exists, it should show both the type and the value of the link.  In my 10 years of use of this feature, I don't believe I have ever changed a setting in this dialog, once initially set, although I concede there is a use case for it (but it should be rare).

Paolo
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 09:20:17 am by Paolo F Cantoni »
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 09:33:15 am »
I never said it's a default.

The current setting is that no Feature Type is selected, not just that no attribute is selected.

So, my answer to Geert's original question: Because it's showing the current value, not the default.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 10:41:07 am »
I never said it's a default.

The current setting is that no Feature Type is selected, not just that no attribute is selected.

So, my answer to Geert's original question: Because it's showing the current value, not the default.
I know, Eve, you didn't say default!

My point was that if there is no setting, we expected a default value to be suggested.

Paolo
-Semantica-

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 07:49:15 am »
My 99% are the element notes.

Same for us, but the most useful setting where the current setting is "None" would be the last value that was entered by the user to replace "None".
Orthogonality rules
Using EA15.2 (1555) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2019 & Access2003/JET4.0. WebEA on Pro Cloud Server 4.2.64