Author Topic: Programmatically Generated capability Gap Matrix  (Read 1569 times)

aldr1c

• EA User
    • View Profile
Programmatically Generated capability Gap Matrix
« on: February 10, 2015, 07:53:05 pm »
I have been given a question that seems to be amenable to having the answer represented on a CG matrix.  Simply put, there is a bunch of associated systems and subsystems which may or may not connect to each other in the provision of services and functions.  The question is, what configurations are not fully supported by all of the available systems and subsystems?  An example might be, there is a requirement that is connected to a service.  The service can be composed of elements A, B, C and D.  There are other elements present that provide similar functions to A, B, C and D, however they are currently not linked.  Querying the model with vbscript and SQL highlights these disconnected options and I would like to be able to represent the answer on a grid (rather than a dense report).

The problem is that I cannot see where EA stores the details for notes on a CG grid, nor where the CG grid objects are stored themselves (the profiles are stored in t_document, however where are the 'links' and their metadata held).

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:54:50 pm by aldr1c »

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Programmatically Generated capability Gap Matr
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 08:55:57 pm »
Links are stored in t_connector. Diagram links in t_diagramlinks (I you modified a connectors in some way).

q.

aldr1c

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 09:18:17 pm »
Links are stored in t_connector. Diagram links in t_diagramlinks (I you modified a connectors in some way).

q.

granted, however the CG matrix does not appear to work in that manner.  Creating a note in the CG Matrix between A and B would suggest that a link is created and annotated in some way.  looking through the database tables behind the application has not as yet discovered the newly created 'link' - hence my confusion and question.

setting the values between A and B as an 'Assessment' and the text as 'this is a test assessment' would suggest that either of those phrases (or just the word 'assessment') would be a good candidate to search on.  Nothing yet.

regards

aldr1c

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 10:43:29 pm »
Just to close this off.  The details in the CG Matrix appear to reside in a long binary field in the t_document table by each profile.  One way to access this (and teh most anemable to me currently) is through the getGapAnalysisMatrix() command, and saving it to an xml file.  This shows the structure of the XML concerned.

From that it is a simple matter to alter the queries that I am writing and parse the results into a similar shape as the XML and then 'import reference data' into the model in question.

Clunky, roundtripping outside EA and far from elegant, however, like bulk adding connectors, simply the easiest thing to do (I would love it if there was a button or command that I missed that did this in one hit!)

regards