Author Topic: Anyone recommend a good analysis book?  (Read 3311 times)

fluxtah

• EA User
    • View Profile
Anyone recommend a good analysis book?
« on: March 09, 2004, 08:41:10 am »
I am looking for a good book that heavily involves Boundary,Control,Entity Stereotype classes, anyone know of a good book that covers this in great detail?

I tried looking on google to no avail :(

regards

Ian

JourneymanDave

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone recommend a good analysis book?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 09:15:45 am »
There's a good book on the ICONIX process by Addison-Wesley that covers the topic of robustness diagrams extensively (boundary, control, entity).  I don't have it handy at work, so I can't give you the name, sorry.  I know that Kendall Scott does some books on ICONIX, but I couldn't swear that this is one of his.

Also, you may check out this article for a little more info: http://www.sdmagazine.com/documents/s=733/sdm0103c/0103c.htm?temp=Ums6Dct07R.

fluxtah

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 10:32:10 am »
Ah Cheers JourneymanDave, most of my books cover it but never explain the process in any great detail.

The link is great, had to sign up first though it was worth it, cheers! :]

regards

Ian
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 11:02:58 am by fluxtah »

gartone

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 01:26:18 pm »
I just finished reading "Applying Use Case Driven Object Modeling With UML". I believe this is the book that JourneymanDave is referrencing. ISBN:0-201-73039-1. The book is relatively small, 153 pages, but is packed with practical examples and direction. The book shows how the robustness analysis helps you improve your use case text and identify all objects for your domain model. It does cover Boundary, Control and Entity discovery and usage.

Regards,

Jay

fluxtah

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 01:35:05 pm »
ah nice, I think I was just looking at that one in my amazon wishlist! :] That's the book I think I am buying next.

cheers,

Ian

JourneymanDave

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 02:48:51 pm »
Just getting back to this thread.  Yes that's the book I was thinking of, and I've found it to be pretty good.  The whole ICONIX process makes sense to me, and I donn't guess I'm the only one that has had difficulty figuring out how to get from Use Cases to Code.

fluxtah

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 03:36:40 am »
cheers lads,

I decided to get

-Use Case Driven Object Modeling with UML: A Practical Approach

and

-Applying Use Case Driven Object Modeling with Uml: An Annotated E-Commerce Example
both on object modeling series :]

regards

Ian
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 03:37:09 am by fluxtah »

angel-o-sphere

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 04:26:39 am »
Hm, not to late I hope :-)

The best book regarding large scale system design, UML and object orientness is IMHO: Software Reuse, by Ivar Jacobson and Martin Griss, Addison Wesley.

If you like the topic, get the book. Unfortunatly the book is heavy to swallow and because of that it has some bad reviews at amazone.com. Nevertheless its "the best book (tm)" about that subject.

The book covers use case driven domain analysis, product family planning, robustness analysis, project planning, component design ... everything tried to view at from a "reuse" perspective.

Regards,
  angel'o'sphere

fluxtah

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 02:50:30 am »
The above two books I got seem quite good, they go through robustness analysis which seems a good practice to strengthen use case before sequence diagrams.

I have been looking at software reuse, however I am quite newbie to UML (well 2 years study but no practice!) so not sure if it would be over my head at the moment.

Javier

• EA User
  • Necessity is the mother of email
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 10:10:34 am »
Fluxtah,

Try Analysis Patterns: Reusable Object Models for "reusable" analysis.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201895420/qid=1083258351/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/104-3775403-4487965?v=glance&s=books

Regards,

Javier
We must become the change we want to see.
- Ghandi

dlundy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 10:10:42 am »
Just wanted to second that recommendation. Analysis Patterns by Martin Fowler is a must have!
Dan Lundy

CSharpGuy

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 08:20:17 am »
All,

I found this thread most interesting.

For those who are interested in low cost alternatives to purchasing technical books, I highly recommend O'Reilly's Safari at http://safari.oreilly.com. They have several of the "classics." The service starts at $10 per month for five books. You can switch out the books periodically.

RB
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 08:20:42 am by CSharpGuy »