Author Topic: Business Object Model - Data Model dependancy  (Read 1671 times)

fluxtah

• EA User
    • View Profile
Business Object Model - Data Model dependancy
« on: June 02, 2004, 05:45:10 am »
I have a load of business objects and tables, the business objects are dependant on the tables, or even the whole set of business objects are dependant on the database.

I was wondering how to represent this dependancy, I was thinking about having a package called business object model which is basically a static model and also a data model package then drawing a dependancy link from the static model to the data model.

Any views on this will be greatly appreciated :)

Ian

thomaskilian

Re: Business Object Model - Data Model dependancy
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 09:16:36 am »
Hi Ian,
that's excactly the way I do it in my models. Additionally you might draw a class diagram where you show explicitely the relations between distinct business objects and the underlying database tables. In your case where you have a load of it, I just would do this for selected pairs.

fluxtah

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 09:27:38 am »
Cheers Thomas, I think where there are areas of ambiguity between db design and class design it would probably be best to emphasise the dependencies on these, probably those areas where I am stumped to remember what BO is dependant on what set of tables :D

best regards

Ian

fluxtah

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 07:34:11 am »
Same kind of question but with stored procedures, how do you show dependency with stored procs, obviously it would be wiser to not have a dependency on stored procs from a business object, but this is the way I am building this system so in this case, I need to show some kind of dependancy of my bo's, db tables and stored procs :D

regards

Fluxtah

thomaskilian

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 11:28:08 am »
Well, stored procedures I only touch with crossed fingers. Sometime speed requirements force you to use them but you're bound to the database then.  However, stored procedures are nothing else than methods of the tables. As you have the methods inside the tables, your dependency shows clearly up, doesn't it?