Author Topic: Activity Partitions v Swimlanes  (Read 1257 times)

barbuckle

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Activity Partitions v Swimlanes
« on: August 10, 2005, 11:39:12 am »
Has anyone looked at the pros and cons of partitioning their activity diagrams using swimlanes versus Activity Partitions?
At least with partitions the activities are encapsulated by the partitions and move with them on the diagram.
I cannot see much point to swimlanes as they are merely a "background graphic" on diagrams.

Any disadvantages to partitions?
I note that the structure of the project is altered as activities are "nested" under their partitions. Has anyone encountered issues with this?

thomaskilian

Re: Activity Partitions v Swimlanes
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 03:40:45 pm »
I don't use either very much. But I think that swimlanes are used to separate objects from each other while partitions are used for logic separation.

sargasso

• EA Practitioner
  • 10 COMFROM 30; 20 HALT; 30 ONSUB(50,90,10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 03:56:55 pm »
Activity partitions were intriduced to get around the constraints imposed by swimlanes.

Particularly, IMO, the ability to partition partitions.

Secondarily, they have allowed me, by vitue of mixing horizontal and vertical partitions, to create some of the most confusing diagrams I ever have.   ;)

bruce
"It is not so expressed, but what of that?
'Twere good you do so much for charity."

Oh I forgot, we aren't doing him are we.

Kevin Brennan

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 12:24:05 pm »
Partitions replace swimlanes in UML 2.0. That said, I find swimlanes easier to work with (I mostly use activitiy diagrams to document business process flows).
Sr. Consultant at blue sands Inc. and Vice President, Body of Knowledge at the IIBA. All opinions are my own.